Author Topic: Terence Stamp  (Read 4968 times)

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
Terence Stamp
« on: 22 October, 2010, 12:57:25 PM »
I have just finished reading the first volume of his autobiography called 'Stamp Album.' For anyone who was born in this part of Plaistow, it is a wonderful trip in nostalgia.  He lived in Chadwin Rd., E13. I lived in the next road. He was 4 years older than me, so I did not really know him, but his younger brother, Chris, was in my class at Tollgate. I cannot remember too much about Chris either, except I had a fight with him once! He describes the places in the locality much better than I could. Many of these places I have mentioned on this site before. He gives a very good decription of the interior of Fairburn House, and a description of how the Warden gave him 10/- not to mention that the said warden had tried to assault him. The many places he describes I knew well, except for one. He describes a Gents clothes shop that sold American and American style clothes, as being at Trinity Church, near to the 106 and 175 bustop. That puts it at the top of the Beckton Rd where it met the Barking Rd., but I can't recall it.
There is a nice picture of the VE Street party, showing the back of St Cedds Church, where I was Christened.
He also gives the meaning of Plaistow as being a 'sports ground' or 'Playplace'.
A well written book, that was a pleasure to read.
« Last Edit: 22 October, 2010, 01:22:53 PM by ALANF »

Offline Squiggywigg

• View Profile
Re: Terence Stamp
« Reply #1 on: 22 October, 2010, 01:01:14 PM »
Hello Alan

I read this book when it was first published in paperback in 1989, and the charming Terence Stamp inscribed my copy at the Newham Bookshop, at which the paperback edition was launched.  The subsequent two volumes (the names of which I have forgotten - sorry) are also excellent reads, though "Stamp Album" as you say is an excellent autobiography.

Offline Alf still

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October, 2010, 10:16:31 PM »
[quote author=ALANF link=topic=1350.msg6012#msg6012 date=

Alan
       I think the  name of the cloths shop you talked about  was Chas Hymans,had me hand stiched birds eye suit made there in the 50s
                                 alf still.

was born in this part of Plaistow, it is a wonderful trip in nostalgia.  He lived in Chadwin Rd., E13. I lived in the next road. He was 4 years older than me, so I did not really know him, but his younger brother, Chris, was in my class at Tollgate. I cannot remember too much about Chris either, except I had a fight with him once! He describes the places in the locality much better than I could. Many of these places I have mentioned on this site before. He gives a very good decription of the interior of Fairburn House, and a description of how the Warden gave him 10/- not to mention that the said warden had tried to assault him. The many places he describes I knew well, except for one. He describes a Gents clothes shop that sold American and American style clothes, as being at Trinity Church, near to the 106 and 175 bustop. That puts it at the top of the Beckton Rd where it met the Barking Rd., but I can't recall it.
There is a nice picture of the VE Street party, showing the back of St Cedds Church, where I was Christened.
He also gives the meaning of Plaistow as being a 'sports ground' or 'Playplace'.
A well written book, that was a pleasure to read.
[/quote]

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2010, 11:11:50 PM »
In the book he mentions a 175 bus with outside stairs. I can remember seeing such a bus, but for many years I thought that I had imagined it, as I thought that style of bus was well before my time.
Thanks for the info reference the shop. Hyams sounds familiar, but I can't picture it.

Alan

Offline reddevil1311

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2010, 12:11:11 PM »
His brother did some Teaching cover at Eastlea school in the early 1990s (including a couple of my classes)

Ashley

Offline CundyRoad

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »
Terence had a younger sister named Lynette, who was in my class in Tollgate Juniors.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 February, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
HI. I went to tollgate rd school.. I lived in Barclay rd.
did you know harry percy from cundy rd.lived near the prince boozer.

Offline CundyRoad

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2015, 12:57:51 AM »
Sorry, don't know him.
I took my username from the road I was born in. 
I lived in the old Beckton Road (Tollate Road now)

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2015, 10:24:18 AM »
I see Terrence stamp was in the  writing in the daily  mail last week, he was complaining nobody speaks English anymore  in newham,
He likes to return to green st now & again. to buy mangos