Author Topic: Will Payne - East Ham Salvation Army  (Read 4169 times)

Offline DougT

• View Profile
Will Payne - East Ham Salvation Army
« on: 11 October, 2010, 07:43:30 PM »
Will Payne was my uncle and lived in Strone Road Manor Park for all his 92 year life. He passed away after a short illness in July 2004 and for over 75 years attended The Salvation Army in Wakefield Street.

He never owned a car but cycled everywhere and was still riding his bike around the streets of Newham until early 2004. Although he was very small in stature he had a big heart and regularly collected pensions and did gardening for the "old people" who were probably younger than him.

In the 1950s he ran the Sunday School at The Salvation Army and there are probably many youngsters of that era who may remember him.

DougT

Offline EastHamBoy

• View Profile
Re: Will Payne - East Ham Salvation Army
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2012, 02:29:32 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  Towards the end of her life my mum was a great believer in the Salvation Army and Mr. Payne presided over her memorial service, which gave great comfort to my Dad.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2012, 04:40:57 PM »
I've now located the attached photograph of my uncle which was taken as he cycled around East Ham delivering Salvation Army magazines to customers, I think the photograph was taken around 2000 when he was approaching 90 years of age.

Offline Bert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2012, 10:05:03 PM »
Perhaps I should have started a new thread for this, for it concerns Stratford Salvation Army - so apologies.

Around late 1944 or early 1945 while I was in the RAF and serving in India a converted Stirling bomber carrying an intake of the first 18 year-old UK conscripts lobbed down on our airfield. As an aside, I particularly remember it because on landing the aircraft wildly bounced about 10 times up the runway. We all thought, "Poor sods".

However, some of the airmen aboard were retained at our station. Among them was a young lad from Stratford (I wish I could remember his name.). Having been assigned a bed in a hut on the station, unpacking his kit and tying up his mosquito net he climbed to the rafters of the hut and hung a flag emblazoned with "Blood and Fire" - the Salvation Army banner. He was a genuine, well-meaning young man who would help anyone, so he was respected for his Salvation Army display.

I'm coming up to 91 so he would now be in his late 80s. What a thrill it would be if he still survives, reads this and responds. He was "a good bloke" and a credit to The Salvation Army.

Bert.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2012, 10:49:40 PM »
Bert

Although I was not around at the time I did know a few members who attended Stratford Salvation Army prior to and during the second world war. Unfortunately I have no idea of their National Service details but I will set out the names in the event that it jogs your memory. All have now died but if they were living they would have been in their nineties. Len Dodd, Doug Palfreman, Arthur Felton, Reg Allen, Bernard Allen and Ben Allen.

Doug

Offline Bert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2012, 12:08:46 AM »
Doug,

Thank you, but none of those names rings a bell. I can still see an image of the young lad but his name escapes me. Suffice to say, he was a credit to the SA.

Incidentally, there was another Stratford boy in the same hut. His name was Cannon and he was known as and called "Crash Cannon". Any Stratford clues? He was a very nice bloke and wore glasses.

Bert.

MBrennan

« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »
Sorry to Hijack Doug's thread again. I asked my mum about her stepmum and the Salvation Army and she said I am imagining things as she has no recollection of her stepmother being in the SA (I pointed out that she is more likely to be forgetful than me!  :D ) I even have an image in my head of her wearing the uniform!  :D

Anyway, my mum said the only SA connections she can think of are.

1. Before my granddad remarried, she was fostered for 8 years by a Mr & Mrs Powell. who lived opposite the Citadel in Lindley Road, Leyton. Her foster father was something in the High Anglican Church, but his good friend was the Captain at the citadel and allowed my mum to belong to the childrens group - she said she was a sunbeam as a child.

2. The only other thing was when her stepmother's father died, the SA traced a missing son to inform him of the death.

Offline 55shelley

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 June, 2012, 09:13:32 PM »
OMG I remember Will Payne and his wife, who always seemed to tower over him.  I was long term fostered by a lady called Lily Gilbert in Shelley Avenue.  She also attended the Salvation Army in Wakefield Street, helping with the Sunday School, which I attended for many years, and as a member of the homeleague singers.  Wasn't Mr Payne in the band, I seem to remember he played the trumpet.  My honory granpa George 'Pop' Burrell used to carry the flag when the band went on parade.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 June, 2012, 10:24:02 PM »
Hi 55Shelley

Will Payne did play in The Salvation Army Band at East Ham but played the Tuba not the trumpet. Yes Will's wife, May did seem to tower over not because she was particularly tall but because he was short. I remember your foster mother's name from my own days at East Ham Salvation Army and also your honorary "Grandfather" George Burrell and his wife. I remember George carrying the flag in front of the band when I was a youngster and his wife was great friends with my own grandmother, Clara Payne, (Will's mother).  They would often call in to see each other for a cuppa and a chat.
Because my grandfather, Alfred Payne, had been killed in the 1st World War, George Burrell gave my mother away when she married in 1945 and his daughter, Ivy,(later Ivy Winter) was a bridesmaid.

Doug

Offline PAULATEPC

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2016, 11:18:22 PM »
Mr Payne had a big influence on my life.  His kindness, when I went to Sunday School, showed me what the Salvation Army was about; Christianity expressed as a deep caring for other people rather than just words and ceremony.  When I wanted to leave the band, still only very young, he came round and gave me a handkerchief with my initial on.

A true Christian - I firmly belief that if Jesus were to come back to Earth today he would point to Mr Payne and say - "that is what I meant".

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 March, 2016, 12:55:20 PM »
I've always had a soft spot for the Salvation Army. Possibly the greatest charity there is. Just type in the wording below in your search engine and read about its history. You'll never walk past an Army collection tin again [assuming, of course you have done!]

"salvation army farthing breakfasts"

Very enlightening and humbling!