Author Topic: New Post  (Read 11377 times)

Offline Eddie Johnson

• View Profile
New Post
« on: 07 July, 2008, 12:23:14 PM »
Yes indeed, many congratulations are in order, only thing is people of my age are going to find it a bit difficult at first as computer language is not that easy to follow, I'm lucky as I can either e-mail Carol Price to explain the intricacies and I have a nearby son who patiently exclaims what button to press.  The Spam was becoming a problem, I'm still not sure exactly what they meant but good riddance to 'em.  Everyone persevere!

Offline billyboyo

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Re: New Post
« Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2008, 01:41:35 PM »
Nice, clean, fresh, and SPAM free. I never did like the real stuff in the war time, yuk. Well done to all those who created this site. Bill Ewing.
Born in custom house canning town, bombed out twice, moved to denmark street where i went to denmark street school.

Offline Phil Kendell

• "Up the Hammers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:31:07 PM »
Thank you for the new site. I know 'spammers' caused the change, being a Moderator myself. Hopefully being 'registered members only' now will stop them gaining access to a Forum much read and loved by an ex West Ham/Newham resident.

Offline Barry

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
Here, here, Phil the Cat. ;D
Treat everyday of your life as your last.
One day you will be right.

Why do New Age Travellers have old caravans and Old Age Travellers new ones?

Offline PHILLIP

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Very well done!
« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2008, 09:07:17 AM »
Best wishes from this old ManorParkian living in Israel.

Offline Eddie Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »
I hope I'm wrong but it seems that the only 'regular' poster from the old board is Stan Dyson.  Does this mean that a lot of the others are having difficulty, its certainly not as easy as before and maybe I'm not doing it properly but the previous one was very spontaneous and, at times, quite exuberant.  So come on all you old and new Newhamonians get posting!

Offline Peter Marshall

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »
Eddie
Whilst I am an infrequent poster, it is the summer-time and I am on my happy holidays! 
I guess that some of the regulars are away from their screens too. 
Peter
Researching: Marshall [28 Carson Rd, 285 Grange Rd and 46 Kildare Rd], Rickard [34 Godbold Rd where I was born] as well as Blackery and Tresadern families who moved into the area.

Offline Haydn Williams

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »
Hello Peter,
Pleased to see your name on the board.  I`m also an infrequent poster but if the topic interests me I will make a contribution, however I`m finding it a trifle difficult coming to terms with the new configuration.
Best wishes, Haydn Williams

Offline dannyb

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2008, 07:39:20 PM »
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your comments. This is a pilot project and we want as many people as possible to give us feedback so we can make the forums as easy to use as possible. They will take a bit more getting used to but hopefully they will help reduce the amount of spam and also make it easier to add photos and make comments relevant to particular topics.

We would really appreciate any feedback from any users as to how we could make it easier to use. We'll be working hard behind the scenes to improve it as much as we can - and the more ideas we get from users the better.

At the moment we're putting together some help screens and some frequently asked questions and will be making tweaks to try and make it easier - but please bear with us - it's only been up and running for 4.5 days - and already there's nearly 100 people registered!

Danny

Dan

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:55:53 PM »
Eddie,
I understand why the site had to be changed. But I do agree it is not as spontaneous as it was. I think it could be made a little more user friendly.It does seem you have to go the long way round to get anywhere at the moment, still as they say it is early days and the people running the site seem intent on getting it right.
PS can anyone tell me what Karma means on a posting ?
« Last Edit: 11 July, 2008, 09:11:39 PM by Dan »

Offline Bert

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2008, 11:49:39 PM »
Eddie,

Regarding your comment about lack of spontaneity here compared to the old History Board I can understand that view. Some people prefer the chat room type of site where the repartee, even though it is trivial, can immediately be posted and seen. Others, like myself, are less interested in  insignificant chat and simply wish to make our humble contributions to subjects raised or initiate subject matter.

On the old History Board I would skip past interminable chit-chat posts about "pie and mash","so-and-so's icecream" and "who lived at no. whatsoever?". Although I'm in my late eighties I find no escape from reality by wasting my time chatting for the sake of it.

I made a comment on the Newham History Board about the West-EastNewham Yahoo Group having become a trivial personal chat room. Without explanation from them I was expelled from membership. So, if you want a chat room find one. If you prefer to contribute your historical West/ East Ham memories stick to this one.

Offline carol price

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 July, 2008, 07:40:58 AM »
 I agree with Eddie , the old board was more spontanious..you only needed to look at the page to see whether there was anything you were interested in, if not, then
 there was no need to open the message , if it was a subject you knew something about then great .On most occasions the names of the people were there also ,maybe someone you knew in the past that you could relive some memories with. People had the choice of whether or not to open chit chat ,if you werent interested then you didnt open it. Eddies messages were always long and informative about many things ,
never chit chat, just because someone prefers the old format doesnt mean they have to favour chat room style ,there is a difference ,and as this board is new it needs every bit of feedback on its useability.Everyones feedback is important to make this board and site a success, and it needs to be user friendly ,and interesting to
 everyone that uses it not just a few .
                               Carol.

Offline carol price

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 July, 2008, 08:18:48 AM »
that should have read spontaneous.
               Carol.

Newham Story Admin.2

« Reply #13 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:02:51 AM »
here's a small tip that might be useful -

If you go to http://newhamstory.com/forums/ and then go to the foot of the page you'll see a title 'The Newham Story - Info Center'

Then there's a section ....'Forum Stats'

Then there's a link 'view the most recent posts on the forum'

If you click on that, you'll see all the posts as a list

We're working to try and make the forums as easy to use as possible so please keep adding your comments - they are useful and appreciated and welcome. This is a pilot project - and one of the aims is to listen to users so it becomes a very user friendly site

Danny

Offline coney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 July, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »
No one has answered a posters question yet "What is this Karma" please answer as I would like to know as well. Great site.