Author Topic: Bike Shop in Prince Regent Lane, E13, c. 1940-1955  (Read 4105 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Re: Bike Shop in Prince Regent Lane, E13, c. 1940-1955
« Reply #15 on: 03 May, 2016, 04:06:10 PM »
Hi Harry, I done a search for Custom Hse Working mans club which was in Berwick Rd & was pleased to find it is still there. Planning permission was applied for to demolish it & erect new clubhouse with flats but the application has been withdrawn. I was a grand old building but by now it must be well worn.
As a kid during the war I was smuggled in on many occaisions & I remember that I couldn't  see through the smoke but the half pint of shandy was tasty.
KenM.

Offline harry

• View Profile
Re: Bike Shop in Prince Regent Lane, E13, c. 1940-1955
« Reply #16 on: 03 May, 2016, 09:47:27 PM »
Hi Ken on Google earth I managed to" travel "down various streets along Prince Regents Lane and found that most of them still had the same houses that I knew when I lived there.
I found that most of the Victorian houses have been demolished and more modern properties built in their place.
Turnings like Jersey ,Mortlake ,part of Devonshire, Garvary Argyle roads and some of the turnings off of Freemasons Road suffered the same fate.
I believe that there are no Pubs left open from Victoria Road right down to Plaistow Broadway having all closed looks like the working mans club is about the only place where you can get a drink in that part of Custom House.
Even the turning where lived has changed there are trees in street now!!
Regards Harry.I.