Author Topic: Bike Shop in Prince Regent Lane, E13, c. 1940-1955  (Read 4338 times)

Offline millerhammer

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Bike Shop in Prince Regent Lane, E13, c. 1940-1955
« on: 31 August, 2010, 03:22:39 PM »
Hi there,

I am trying to find some important info for a relative who is in her mid-80s and lived around Canning Town/Custom Home for a large part of her life.  We would dearly love to find out more information about the bike shop that her dad owned around the mid-1900s on Prince Regent Lane.  His name was George Collins and we think his parents lived above the cycle shop, his mother was in a wheelchair (don't know if that'll jog any memories!)

I can't find anything, I have googled, used ancestry.com, looked at phone book directories etc but to no avail. 

Thanks for any help!  I know it's a long shot...!!  Best wishes, Sarah

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Re: Bike Shop in Prince Regent Lane, E13, c. 1940-1955
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
Hi Millerhammer
I can recall a cycle shop on the left side of Prince Regents Lane facing the docks, in a group of shops between Randolph Rd & Alnwick Rd,
other shops in the group were Larkins sweets & Goebells a grocer.
Opposite was the Post Office sited in the centre of another parade of small shops.
I can remember Mr Collins repairing my first bike after a horse trampled all over it outside his shop, he ran out to help me, a small lad, took my damaged bike into his shop & repaired it free of charge.
A nice man & a  kindness that I will never forget.
Sorry, not much help in details that you maybe seeking.
KenM. 

Offline GeoffM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2010, 07:04:54 PM »
The Canning Town 1902 Post Office Directory shows a Thomas Steel cycle maker at 219 Prince Regent Lane next door at 223 was William Welch  a baker then came Randolph Road which seems to tie in with KenM's recollections.

GeoffM

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2010, 03:18:19 PM »
I do think that it is a shame that posters do not reply to any responses that they receive from their queries.
KenM.

Offline Robert Rogers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »
This seem quite a common problem on various sites. You are quite right it does seem a shame especially when a lot of us are passionate about our History and may spend a fare amount of time researching, even if it is only at home with book in one hand and a cup of tea in the other!

Still on the bright side, it does get the `Little old grey cells` working!

Offline Peter Marshall

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November, 2010, 02:04:36 AM »
Have to remember too that some people have not yet learnt to set up the automatic email for replies to topics you have contributed to.
Peter
Researching: Marshall [28 Carson Rd, 285 Grange Rd and 46 Kildare Rd], Rickard [34 Godbold Rd where I was born] as well as Blackery and Tresadern families who moved into the area.

Offline millerhammer

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 September, 2015, 04:14:56 PM »
I would like to say thank you; no, I did not receive any notification to say anyone had replied hence me not saying thank you.  I have only come across this again by chance, so thank you :-)

It is five years late, however ;-)

That is a lovely memory of my husband's great grandfather.  George Collins' wife had died very young and he was left alone with small children.  I think he had owned the cycle shop at 235 Prince Regents' Lane since WWI, according to a 1914 commercial directory - http://pubshistory.com/CanningTown/CanningTown1914/CanningTown1914C.shtml. 

Offline cockney gel

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September, 2015, 10:07:32 PM »
Hello Peter,
 Not having much idea about computers, l didn't realise that we can set up automatic emails for replies. Could you tell me how l can set it up please. Thanks.

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September, 2015, 08:03:42 AM »
Hi Cockney gel

I didn't realise you could do that either. I thought we only got notification by email when we send a private message to another forum member.

Linda

Offline lyn

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September, 2015, 10:35:52 PM »
For anyone that doesn't know about getting notification by email, just click on the blue square that says attachments and other options and tick the box.

Offline Maureen Day

• Helpful user
  • You have to be a friend to have a friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 September, 2015, 07:02:20 AM »
Thank you very much for that information Lyn
Regards
Maureen

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 September, 2015, 07:50:35 AM »
I also thank you Lyn. Just goes to show we are never too old to learn!

Best wishes
Linda

Offline LinkinFarley

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2016, 11:43:26 PM »
Bike shop was called Collins Stores. My grandfather owed it from around 1940 I think, maybe be earlier to 1964. My Father was born there.

Does anyone have any pictures of the location?

KenM. Can you remember what year that incident happened with your bicycle?

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 April, 2016, 11:05:59 AM »
Hi Linkinfarley, the year that your grandfather came to my rescue would have been late 40s
Sorry I cannot help with any photos, I have tried Google streetview but could not identify the location, the area has changed so much.
KenM.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 April, 2016, 11:05:28 AM »
Have just been looking on Google earth street view to see what can be recognised of old Custom House but unfortunately there has been some changes in that area.
We  moved away from there  in 1970.
On Google I managed to find Berwick Road which I believe was opposite the row of shops which included the bike shop in question and it appears that all the buildings on both sides of Prince Regents Lane from there to Victoria Dock road have all been redeveloped and if it wasn't for the old roads off of the Lane you would not recognise what we knew in the old days.
The only part of Shipman Road school that can still be seen is part of the wall that has got an electric sub-station still in situ from the old school.
A housing estate is now where the old school was.
Regards Harry.I.