Author Topic: Family Sing Songs  (Read 20728 times)

Offline Will.B

• View Profile
Family Sing Songs
« on: 04 July, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
In the1930s when there was something for the family to celebrate, my Mother and Father would meet all their relations in the local pub in Plaistow, where they would stay until 10.30. and when the Guv’nor called last orders please one of the men would ask him to let them have some beer to take home, this would be collected from the Off Licence bar (I believe some pubs called it the Jug and Bottle) which most pubs had at that time and the Beer would be in wooden crates each containing four bottles of beer, this would be taken back to my Grans house by the men and the sing song would start in Grans front room.

All My Aunts and Uncles had their own special songs that they love to sing which included such old songs as:
Shanty in old Shanty town, Call round any old time, Give me a nail and a hammer. I’ll take you home Kathleen and The Rose of Tralee. Even my Gran would give us her rendering of “It’s just a little Street”, the party would then go on until the early hours of the morning, after which we would all return to our own houses
I have often wondered if it had carried on until today what songs would be sung, I think I would sing these words to the tune of that lovely song “The Rare old Times”. Will.

Raised on songs and stories, of characters re-known
The passing tales and glories that once was Canning Town
The public hall and houses, the haunting children’s rhymes
That once was West Ham Borough, in the rare old times

(Chorus)
Ring a ring a roses, as the light declines
I remember West Ham fondly, in the rare old times

By name they call me William, as West Ham as can be
Born hard and poor in Plaistow, in a house that ceased to be
By trade I worked the Royal docks, till their redundancy
Like my house that fell to progress, my trades a memory

And I married my dear Joannie, as pretty as can be
 A sweet young lass from Dagenham, close to Becontree
Her Father was a prisoner, in the First World War
But never spoke of hardships, and the horrors that he saw
(Chorus)

The years have made me bitter, the Lager dims my brain
For West Ham keeps on changing, and nothing stays the same
My Cinemas and Pubs have gone, my old School since pulled down
As the great unyielding concrete, makes changes in my town
(Chorus)

Fair thee well I say to Newham, I can no longer stay
And watch those shops and buildings that spring up along your way
My mind’s too full of memories, too old to hear new chimes
I’m part of what was West Ham in the rare old times.
(Chorus)

Offline nan

• View Profile
Re: Family Sing Songs
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2010, 11:41:41 AM »
 reading will.bs letter reminded of me of before w.w.2
my gran lived in queens rd and a couple of times a week i used to take a jug
to the stanley pub in st marys rd and get her a pint of porter,i think it was a kind of ale,and was told before going,dont drink any of it,but there used to be a lovely froth on top and me and my brother would drink some of it.
when we got home grandma would say this is a bit flat today,but i think she knew.
i was aged 10-11 and my brother was 7-8.
how times have changed.

Offline alfstill

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2010, 09:56:32 PM »
 Hi  Will.b
         Lovely posting Will, brings back so many wonderful memories , thats how it use to be in our house in Royal Rd.Custom House.Such happy days,hard ,but people seemed so much happier  and contented then.
                                                          Cheers.  ALF                                                           

Offline Will.B

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2010, 12:56:17 PM »
Thanks for that Alf,
I could not agree more with your comments.Incidentally my Uncle George and Aunt May use to live in Royal Road I think it was in the 1950s but I am not sure about the date. Cheers Will.

Offline alfstill

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2010, 08:20:54 PM »
  Hi Will
        What was the surname of your uncle George and Aunt may,We lived in Royal rd.from about 1940, to the late 60s, so i might have known them,we lived at  No, 6.
                                                  Regards ALF.

Offline Will.B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2010, 08:57:08 PM »
Hi Alf,
        My Uncle and Aunt surname was Field I don't remember what number they lived but I have just spoken to my Sister who tells me it was about half way down Royal Road on the right hand side,I do occasionally speak to their son and daughter who are both in their 80s now so next time I will ask them what number they lived at.
Cheers .Will

Offline Albert

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2010, 04:29:20 AM »
Hi Will,
This was one of the traditions that carried on for many years because I remember this happening in the late 40s and the 50s but by the 60s it had all but disappeared.
In our family gatherings they used to take turns at hosting the party.
I remember my mum up late on Friday night when us kids were in bed moving furniture out of the front room and scrubbing the lino ready for Saturday night.
They all used to drink at the Nott in Prince Regents Lane then walk from there carrying the beer down Randolph Road and us kids, eagerly waiting for the party for which we were allowed to stay up, could hear them singing all the way.
We could clearly hear my Aunt Beck's voice singing My Mother's Eyes or Aunt Ruth singing Who's Sorry Now when they were still at the top of the street.
At the earliest parties I can remember we had an upright piano which there was always someone who could play it as neighbours were also invited.
In later years we got a radiogram and the piano took second place to the records by Guy Mitchell, Kay Starr, Issy Bonn, Jo Stafford and Frankie Laine.
Sadly it all gradually stopped and was just a memory by the mid 60s but they are enduring memories of the closer family ties of those days.
It always seems to me that as we moved on and became more affluent that we cast aside not only the bad old times but also the many good traditions that had made the East End what it was.

Albert

Offline poppy show

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2010, 09:49:03 PM »
Hi Will

Nice memories, like the songs, have been on you tube , and found a guy called BOB Hale singing the nail and hammer song, but he calls it (i don't work for a living ) he also sings a right old one that i ain't heard for years called ( come inside).

I remember years ago when i was a kid my mums oldest brother, he was the black sheep of the family, he used turn up all sorts of times round our house at stratford, very drunk, he always used to sing (happy days are here again)while he was singing this ,my mum was trying to push a cheese sandwich down his throat, screaming get this down yer and soak that Bloody beer up . Good old east end entertainment!!

Regards Barry
« Last Edit: 23 July, 2010, 10:07:52 PM by poppy show »

Offline Bert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 July, 2010, 01:00:25 AM »
Barry,

Your mention of "come inside" stirred my memory. Wasn't the chorus, "Come inside, you silly b*ggers, come inside."? There was another with the chorus, "And the smoke goes up the chimney, and the smoke goes up the chimney just the same." The tunes of those old songs keep rattling through my mind but the lyrics are more difficult to recall. Of course, the most heard song at parties and in pubs on Saturday nights was "Knees up, Mother Brown."

Not a party song, but one that keeps ringing in my ears dates from the 1920s/30s when I was at Three Mills School, Stratford. (I can remember the words of this one.) At school football matches, after the Three Millers had scored a goal, there would be a chorus of:

"Three Mills, Three Mills, let's have another one
Three Mills, Three Mills, play with all your might.
When your heart is crying,
When your heart is dying,
Play up, the Three Mills boys."

Bert

Offline Will.B

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 July, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »
Just a Little street where old friends meet.

When I go on u-tube and play Nat King Cole singing this song it always reminds me of my Nan, not only because she would sing it but because her house was just like that, always open and welcoming to rich or poor and as I have said before her front door was always kept open (weather permitting) by a large sea shell, she lived in Graham road, Plaistow which at that time was a little road, and  Godsell road ran along the bottom, since then however the name of Godsell road has gone and the road itself has become a continuation of Graham road. In Nans time there were only about 8 houses in the row she lived in, and 3 of those were taken up by my Nan and Aunts and Uncles so you would always find a welcome there.
 The house that Nan lived in was a rented house and she was once told by the landlord that with the rent she had paid over the years she could have bought the house 3 times over. I did a while ago wander back down there but of course Nans house was gone and that did not surprised me as I know you can’t stop progress, what did surprise me however was that instead of seeing a nice new row of houses I was standing in front of a row of garages and that was a little sad looking at those garages and remembering the very happy times we had in Nan’s old house,  still I guess it was my own fault for not listening to those people who say never go back. Will

Offline Will.B

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2011, 12:25:55 PM »
For those old enough to remember those pub piano sing a longs try to Google sonnyrice the piano man and sing along with his" Memories of Yesteryear's".Will

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 May, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »
the television has a lot to answer for

Offline pamela mather

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2012, 06:30:52 PM »
i  can remember our neighbours in stokes rd having a singsong you could hear them banging there feet in tune to music but it never bothered us then if i lived next door to them now i would probably complain ha ha  pam

Offline EX CUSTOM HOUSE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 July, 2012, 12:06:22 PM »
To all posters that posted to FAMILY SING SONGS way back.
Browsing as I do often came across them and what treasures of the old times.

Mr Grans favourite was the Man who broke the Bank of MonteCarlo- and then Grandad would
do his one and only  The Blind Irish Girl, (he had been a Merchant Seaman all his life until the heat
of the Stoke Holes burnt his vision) and this blinded him 90% for the rest of his life.
He also I heard tell was a good Clog Dancer.

My Mum liked Gracie singing Now is the hour, and Dad Those two eyes are Blue come Smiling through.

Offline pamela mather

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 July, 2012, 12:16:13 PM »
my dad was always whistling he would walk down our garden waving to the neighbours and he loved to sing us kids always new if he was in a good mood he would smoke his pipe ,your poor dad loosing his vision because of his job no compersation in those days ,he liked josepf lock i will take you home again kathleen . you are my sunshine , dont fence me in ,  pam