Author Topic: Requests for the Newham Story website  (Read 53454 times)

Offline nuttyrita

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Re: Requests for the Newham Story website
« Reply #15 on: 01 February, 2011, 08:53:09 PM »
Has anyone got any  other pictures of Manor Road Buildings or any of Rathbone Market in 60s or 70s

Offline austi2001

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 August, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »
Dont know if your on Facebook but there is a group called IM frim E16 and they ahve loads of pics on there what people have added and some real old ones of manor road building etc if you dont have facebook let me know and ill get the pics put up in here!

Offline Robert Rogers

• View Profile
Re: Requests for the Newham Story website/Facebook
« Reply #17 on: 03 August, 2011, 10:21:42 PM »
Just tried that link, Faceboook does not reconise it, is it spelt correct?
Have found a group call `You know if you are from E13/E16`, but there seem to be no photos on it.

Offline austi2001

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 August, 2011, 11:20:38 AM »
if you send me your email address id love to send you pics of rathbone market please email me at teriaustin@live.co.uk

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 September, 2011, 02:21:45 PM »
I have been wondering about schools in the Custom House area,with Shipman ,Asburton,now gone leaving Rosetta apparantly the only school remaining ,where do all the children in the area go to school?now that these schools have gone.
Regards Harry.

Offline peterjay

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 September, 2011, 03:17:50 PM »
I also could not find the link on facebook, would love to see the pics of Manor Road buildings lived there for 20 years, can I ask for the correct link, cheers.
Peter.
Family Historian Researching:- Matthews, Clover, Bradley, Dredger, Tydeman, West Ham and around.

Offline REID-A2

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 December, 2011, 02:06:10 PM »
ARE THERE ANY PHOTO'S OF CLARENCE ROAD CANNING TOWN AROUND 1940-1959 PLEASE.

ALAN
A.REID

Offline Lengthofwire

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 August, 2012, 10:46:53 AM »
Has anyone got any photo/s of The Princess Alice junction in Forest Gate, showing The Queens Cinema.  I ask because I was in there the night that the area was flattened by a land-mine.  As you may have guessed, mum and dad insisted that we left as soon as patrons were told that an air-raid siren had been sounded!
Len

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #23 on: 23 August, 2012, 02:24:55 PM »
Check the middle picture in the top row or this old photograph. I cannot make out the name but it may be he Queens Cinema you refer to.

http://www.historic-images.co.uk/essex/forest-gate

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #24 on: 23 August, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »
In the third row, far right is a full frontal photograph of the Queens cinema.

http://www.historic-images.co.uk/essex/forest-gate

Offline Lengthofwire

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 August, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »
That's the one.  Thanks Mick.  I was about 7 or 8 at the time, so had no memories of it, other than the steps, and more memorably, the devastation the following morning.
Len

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 October, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »
HI THERE ,
DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE FAIR GROUNDS THAT IN THE LATE FORTIES AND EARLY FIFTIES REGULARLY USED  TO VISIT BECKTON ROAD PARK  NEAR WHERE THE LIDO WAS,
I HAD MANY HAPPY MEMORIES OF THESE  FUNFAIRS , PARTICULARLY THE STALLS, AND CANDY FLOSS ,AMONGST OTHERS INCLUDING STICKING THREE SEPERATE DARTS ON THREE SEPERATE CARDS AND IF YOU WERE LUCKY  YOU WON  A GOLDFISH IN I THINK A JAR ,OR SOME SUCH SIMILAR OBJECT  AND THE PEOPLE SITTING AROUND THE STALL PLAYING WHAT IS NOW BINGO WINNING SOME REALLY NICE CHINA ORNAMENTS TO ADORN THE WINDOWS OR TABLES IN THE  HOME
AND THEN TRYING TO GET THREE RINGS OVER SMALL CHINA OBJECTS WHICH AGAIN IF YOU WERE LUCKY WON THAT PRIZE
THE WHIPP WAS MY FAVOURITE RIDE AS WAS THE FLYING CHAIRS ,AND BIG  CROWDS ON A SATURDAY NIGHTS WERE THE NORM, SADLY THESE FAIRS  SEEM TO HAVE VIRTUALLY DIED OUT ,
BUT HAPPY CHILD HOOD MEMORIES WALKING HOME ,TIRED BROKE  BUT CONTENTED,
GEORGIAN

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 October, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »
I Think the fair in Beckton Park you refer to was John Biddles and as you said was there every year for quite a few years.
As young lads around 14 years old my brother and I used to help with the dismantling of the stalls when the fair was on the move for this we were paid a few shillings.
The stall we liked to help dismantle was the one where you had to roll tennis balls down to fill up holes to get the highest score to win.
Some times  as people slid their money down to pay the coins sometimes fell through the  holes onto the straw undernieth and as you can imagine we managed to find quite a few bob amongst the straw,happy days!!! Regards Harry.I.

Offline Alf still

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 October, 2012, 04:07:06 PM »

Hi Georgian/Harry
        I remember the fair at Becton Park well, it was there that i met my late wife in 1951,she was 16 and i was 17 we courted until 1952 then i was called up for the army, came out in 54, got engaged and got married in Sept. of that year and had 56 happy and wonderful years together,until she passed away.So Becton Fair will always have a special place in my heart.
                                                          ALF.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 January, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »
Someone wanted piccy's of Manor Road Buildings. Hope this suits.