Author Topic: 217 Barking Rd & Dr Wanlass  (Read 1429 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Robert Rogers

  • Guest
217 Barking Rd & Dr Wanlass
« on: 07 November, 2008, 08:22:35 AM »
Dr Wanlass, now there is a a name from the pass.

He was a Doctor in the Royal Navy in the Great war(WW1).

His wife who was Norwegian used to breed Blue Persan cats, many of which won major awards in the world of Cat Shows.

His son is also a Doctor up in Newcastle.

After his death, 217 became the HQ of Grange Coaches, and was then bought by the Thompson Family who owned Abbey motors at the Abbey Arms.

What a lovely man.

Robert Rogers

  • Guest
217 Barking Rd & Dr Wanlass
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2008, 01:34:51 PM »
Does any body know the History of big house at 217 Barking Road which was the home and surgery of Doctor Wanliss ?

The house which was opposite South West Ham tec, at the corner of Barking road next to the Princess Alexandra Pub, which was built on the site of the old shops in Barking road which were destroyed in the Blitz.
The house had servants quarters in the basement complete with a call system with a bell and a little flag as you see in many films about the Victorian & Edwardian age such as Upstairs, Downstairs.
 
The Doctor had a lovely big and very hairy black dog, like a Huskies but bigger called Laddie, cannot remember the name of the type, but possible a Chow) and a White Persian cat.

There was two big trees in the rear garden which it was said marked the Boundary between E.16 & E.13.

Offline Kathy Taylor

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 544
  • Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
Re: 217 Barking Rd & Dr Wanlass
« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2008, 01:08:39 PM »
Essex House which is number 217 Barking Road was probably the grandest house in Canning Town, see the attached photo. It is a large double bayed house near the corner of Star Lane, that must have built between 1880 and 1893.

1867 – It is not shown on the OS Map
1878 – Nothing listed in PO directory
1894 – The house is now shown on OS Map
1896 -  PO Directory -  Payne, William Alfred
1901 – Census - Cottle, Fred, commission agent
1902 – PO directory – Cottle, Fred, commission agent
1948 – Kelly’s directory shows an entry for  Dr Wanlass
After his death, 217 became the HQ of Grange Coaches, and was later bought by the Thompson Family who owned Abbey motors at the Abbey Arms..
It has now been converted into flats or bedsits.