Author Topic: Bare Chested Newpaper Seller  (Read 1118 times)

Offline indaloman

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Bare Chested Newpaper Seller
« on: 04 January, 2018, 09:09:45 AM »
Does anyone remember the man who used to sell newspapers outside of East Ham Railway Station? No matter how cold it was he only ever wore a black waistcoat. Rumor was he had once suffered with TB, but do not know if this is true.

Offline Laramie

• View Profile
Re: Bare Chested Newpaper Seller
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »
Just asked my husband if he remembered newspaper seller at East Ham and before I said any more,he piped up with- he always had bare arms!

Offline nollanhej

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2018, 09:32:18 PM »
Does anyone remember the newspaper seller who walked the streets of Forest Gate and parts of Stratford, and when he shouted Star, News, Standard, and when he shouted Standard his jaw dropped so low it nearly reached his chest? A real character . . . along with the old market stall holders, of course!

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
I remember seeing the guy with the bare chest riding his bike around East Ham and Manor Park. Think he also had long hair and  someone told me he was also a caretaker at a block of flats near Central Park. I believe he suffered with an illness that forced him to go shirtless.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2018, 06:36:17 PM »
Their used to be a similar bloke they used to call tarzan ...who used to stand outside the picture house at stratford broadway in the early fifties. A big bloke  who  stood their in his vest when it was snowing.. with his arms folded & had long hair, just like weismuller who played tarzan,, :(

Offline indaloman

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2018, 07:26:00 PM »
I remember seeing the guy with the bare chest riding his bike around East Ham and Manor Park. Think he also had long hair and  someone told me he was also a caretaker at a block of flats near Central Park. I believe he suffered with an illness that forced him to go shirtless.

I local story I heard was he had been a TB sufferer

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2018, 12:26:39 PM »
My father used to talk of a newspaper man that was dressed only in brown paper, known locally as Paper Jack
Could this be the same man?
kenm

Offline indaloman

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2018, 07:52:26 PM »
Hi Kenm

He may have been the same guy but I only ever saw him wearing a a dark coloured waistcoat.