Author Topic: Use It Or Lose It  (Read 2213 times)

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
Use It Or Lose It
« on: 21 October, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »

I'm using this section because it allowed to be used for other topics!

Now the point being is that if you don't use the forum and only try to keep topics strictly related to Newham then it's going to dry up and the board will prove to be uneconomical to the sponsors.
Yes. These sites don't come free so what I say is . . . Use It Or Lose It?  Or as a classified advert used to read in the "Stratford Express" in the 'seventies: You've tried The Rest, Now try the best. 
Keep posting . . . I enjoy reading the forum. Mrs Olleys, Manor Road Buildings, Stratford Town Hall, Ilford Palias [oops. Just testing!] Raffy, Abbey, Luckins, Larkins, Bacon Bills, The Denmark  . . .    oh, and the working man's club in Barking Road nearly next to the Alex pub on the corner of Star Lane. there's a lot of subjects to be discussed. There must be memories of the Bridgehouse's entertainment, the club on the corner of Trinity Church, East Ham working Man's Club. Some of the cheerful chatty  bus conductors,  tally men, milkmen, bread roundsmen. 
The list goes on, Yes. More than I Do!

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: Use It Or Lose It
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2015, 10:11:33 PM »
HI Nell.
Was the club at trinity church on the corner of hermit rd? if it was ,it was the old canning town labour exchange .where we used to sign on.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:14:41 AM »
I remember electricity board on the corner. but cant remember the  club.. I do remember signing on though just around the corner from the electricity board shop. in around 1951.
Then it closed ,& we got moved back to freemasons rd.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2015, 11:04:56 PM »
Yep, that could even have been the same building. I never trod foot in Canning town till 1959 and that was to get a bit of Lillian Gish from Thakes.

Offline emdee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2015, 05:54:36 PM »
The Bongo Club entrance was on the Barking Road somewhere between Boots? Morris's? or W E Norris's? It was just a doorway that led into or up to the club.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2015, 07:49:19 PM »
Hi emdee.
I don't remember it. I left canning town around fifty six.. & went back to  custom house area.

Offline emdee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »
Hi Ron, there is a thread about Club Bongo on this site under Newham Memories and Nostalgia, (which is where this thread should be). You could also Google it - a number of references to it pop up.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »
Cheers Emdee.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2018, 03:26:08 PM »
What has happened to this once busy & friendly forum?
I have tried to start several posts, but little to no response.
Is there another forum? Am I missing something?
Kenm

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 April, 2018, 06:41:49 PM »
Ken mate , your doing nothing wrong, its been like this since it started up again about 6 m0nths ? some members have switched to face book sites  ,don't have the answer mate , theres enough history and subjects going back to when I first joined over 10 years ago to keep everyone interested ,but you know what they say about leading a horse to water///////

All the best Ed

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2018, 08:59:18 AM »
 I found out quite by accident that this board was online again. I also found out the automated email system that sends messages to people when further comments are made was also working.

The only way I had of contacting people was via existing messages and I chose a number of topics that had been well contributed to in a effort to spread the word about the boards revival. That did attract numbers back but unfortunately not enough. When the board was taken down I know lots of members switched to alternative social media like FaceBook. I know FaceBook can be very seductive due to it's instant rapport nature but most contribution there lacks the depth of knowledge expressed through this board. I actually believe their is room for both.

I also managed to find a way of adding new images to this site which I did in quite a number of new articles in a attempt to stimulate conversation, but unfortunately most of this was limited to the few members that had returned. It is possible to tell from the "Who is online" feature at the bottom of the main page that the board is still well viewed throughout the day, but so far few viewers have taken that extra step to register for an account to contribute their knowledge and memories to the board.

I would take this opportunity to once again appeal to viewers to register for an account and share their knowledge. This board does contain a wealth of social history from previous contributors and personal contributions no matter how large or small, are vital to keeping the board interesting. After all, conversation is a two-way process and good conversation attracts more contributors which in turn leads to even better debate.

So if you are someone that has enjoyed viewing the topics and memories on this board, please come and join us. It is free and simple to join. We would love to hear from you.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 April, 2018, 12:35:05 PM »
Hi Ed & MickG, many thanks for your prompt replies.
A great shame that the once lively forum appears to be on its knees.
Come on you Hammers, log in & register (IT'S FREE) there must be a wealth of interest & cockney humour that will kick start this forum.
KenM.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 April, 2018, 07:58:51 AM »
Hi Ken
When the forum returned I was so pleased and did start to post but like you I found it was very slow as members seemed to only be finding out by accident that it was back.
While it was closed I joined the Facebook Memories of East Ham, Memories of Manor Park and East Ham and Newham History Society, and have found some very good posts and photos on each of these sites.
I think it's a shame that the most of us still can't post photos on the forum as it makes it so much more interesting but hopefully in time this problem will be resolved.
In the meantime I'll try to get more involved again and hope that other members will do the same after reading your post.

Best wishes
Linda

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 April, 2018, 02:36:28 PM »
Hi Linda, its nice to hear from you. I will give the Facebook memories a try, but as you say the losing being able to post pictures, is a blow to Newham forum. As they say, a picture maybe better than  a thousand words.
Kenm.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 April, 2018, 01:27:46 PM »
In January I wished mick a belated birthday wish , as it was also my birthday in January,, It  was completely ignored ..he decided to jump over my post & answer someone else ..So I have not posted since , & deleted the post .I will not post  in the future.. No point if you are going to be ignored..
Ron,