Author Topic: Use It Or Lose It  (Read 1632 times)

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
Use It Or Lose It
« on: 21 October, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »

I'm using this section because it allowed to be used for other topics!

Now the point being is that if you don't use the forum and only try to keep topics strictly related to Newham then it's going to dry up and the board will prove to be uneconomical to the sponsors.
Yes. These sites don't come free so what I say is . . . Use It Or Lose It?  Or as a classified advert used to read in the "Stratford Express" in the 'seventies: You've tried The Rest, Now try the best. 
Keep posting . . . I enjoy reading the forum. Mrs Olleys, Manor Road Buildings, Stratford Town Hall, Ilford Palias [oops. Just testing!] Raffy, Abbey, Luckins, Larkins, Bacon Bills, The Denmark  . . .    oh, and the working man's club in Barking Road nearly next to the Alex pub on the corner of Star Lane. there's a lot of subjects to be discussed. There must be memories of the Bridgehouse's entertainment, the club on the corner of Trinity Church, East Ham working Man's Club. Some of the cheerful chatty  bus conductors,  tally men, milkmen, bread roundsmen. 
The list goes on, Yes. More than I Do!

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: Use It Or Lose It
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2015, 10:11:33 PM »
HI Nell.
Was the club at trinity church on the corner of hermit rd? if it was ,it was the old canning town labour exchange .where we used to sign on.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:14:41 AM »
I remember electricity board on the corner. but cant remember the  club.. I do remember signing on though just around the corner from the electricity board shop. in around 1951.
Then it closed ,& we got moved back to freemasons rd.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2015, 11:04:56 PM »
Yep, that could even have been the same building. I never trod foot in Canning town till 1959 and that was to get a bit of Lillian Gish from Thakes.

Offline emdee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2015, 05:54:36 PM »
The Bongo Club entrance was on the Barking Road somewhere between Boots? Morris's? or W E Norris's? It was just a doorway that led into or up to the club.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2015, 07:49:19 PM »
Hi emdee.
I don't remember it. I left canning town around fifty six.. & went back to  custom house area.

Offline emdee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »
Hi Ron, there is a thread about Club Bongo on this site under Newham Memories and Nostalgia, (which is where this thread should be). You could also Google it - a number of references to it pop up.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »
Cheers Emdee.