Author Topic: Some Posts  (Read 9264 times)

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: Some Posts
« Reply #15 on: 09 July, 2015, 07:37:13 PM »
I agree allfox. Their should be a couple of elected moderators. who attend the board regularly.

MBrennan

« Reply #16 on: 12 July, 2015, 11:03:34 PM »
I find the spam posts very annoying and it is a shame they aren't removed by a moderator. Equally frustrating is the number of threads these days that aren't even remotely connected to Newham - maybe another reason why many people have given up on it. I still look quite often, but feel that I may as well just delete my membership.

Mark

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 July, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »
Like nan and Mark I also am finding the spam messages annoying and I think it has probably made members think twice about posting.

I wonder if we are all running out of things to write about Newham as most topics over the years seem to have been covered. We definitely miss Louise who had a wonderful memory and could tell a great story. I remember sometime ago we were going through a "quiet spell" and Louise returned after an illness and gave us all a nudge to start new topics up.

I think it would help that when we report spam messages to Admin they removed them promptly. This might encourage new members to post and start new topics and then we could all add our contribution.

It would be a shame to lose valued members like Mark who have contributed such a lot to this Forum

Linda

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 July, 2015, 05:14:30 PM »
Linda, I agree with you 100% but thankfully there have been a few sensible posts on the forum today. I too sometimes feel that perhaps we have covered post of our own memories about Newham and are reluctant to post anything new in case it is insignificant. Unfortunately we all tend to go off at tangents and repeat ourselves (old age) but there are also a number of Facebook groups relating to the Newham area. Whilst the threads on those pages also suffer from the same problem of people going "off topic" there are some subjects that could form the basis of interesting and informative posts on this forum.
Doug

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 July, 2015, 08:39:07 AM »
Thank you Doug and Brenda for your replies. As Doug says there were some interesting posts yesterday so hopefully we will get back to normal.

Saying that I noticed this morning another strange post inviting us to look at a link. I have declined to do this as I wasn't sure it was wise to open it and I shall be reporting it to the moderator. As Brenda said we often grumbled about the Administrator but where is she now? Several posts that I know have been reported are still on here several weeks later.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 July, 2015, 05:34:29 PM »
The way this present Forum is set up ( it has been since 2008 ) is still a mystery to me , I can remember the old Site prior to 2008 were nobody logged on as members but if there was an dodgy  post it was wiped off  P.D.Q. along with other posts that either preceded or followed it , such was old technology then. At that time there was an irritating ex pom who was always slagging off the U.K. about our lousy weather and his wonderful fishing, he was aloud a bit of slack then wallop he was deleted.
I also belong to a Merchant Navy Forum and if you somuch as step over the line, your made to walk the plank . I along with many others have digressed on topics , but any topics lately are better than no topics and an empty days postings    yea ?
All the best ED

Offline Alf still

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 July, 2015, 08:38:16 PM »

Hi ED
           I remember Aussie Fred on the old Newham History Forum,always slagging the UK off but I think he got so much stick of all of us that he chickend  out,  Although he did become a member of this site, but he did not post anything

Regards                  ALF

Offline alffox

• Taken c1985
    • View Profile
    • The Fox family from Kelfield, Yorkshire and Edmead - Kelly - Brett
« Reply #22 on: 03 August, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
Once again another wooden top comes onto the forum - sawdust between the ears I guess.  Has the administrator not given any thought to my earlier posting of having a couple of Newham Forum Veterans looking out for these CRANK messages and deleting them as fast as they are posted.   Who is responsible for the administration of the site please - who can we respond to?  KIRISHIMAZA is the newest recruit.  These type of posts should be deleted immediately the individual completes a registration and then posts idiotic comments.

alffox

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #23 on: 03 August, 2015, 08:35:10 PM »
I get the feeling the person who added todays weird post is probably the same person who made other equally strange contributions under a variety of names.

I have added a link to Psychology Today where characteristic traits of internet trolls are described.

The key bit of advice is

The next time you encounter a troll online, remember:
1.These trolls are some truly difficult people.
2.It is your suffering that brings them pleasure, so the best thing you can do is ignore them.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists
« Last Edit: 04 August, 2015, 01:28:31 AM by MickG »

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:36:13 AM »
I have just spoken to Jenni Munroe-Collins in the Newham Archives at Stratford about the problem we have been having with the spam messages.

She was very sorry to hear what has been happening and explained that their section has had hours cut and they are severely short staffed.

Jenni checked through the system and agreed that lots of the messages shouldn't be on there. She made a start at deleting some and will try to get some extra help to erase the rest and to keep on top of this problem.

She sends her apologies to all on the Newham Forum and sympathises with how frustrating it has been for all the posters.

Linda

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 August, 2015, 02:03:14 PM »
Perhaps kirishmaza..is one of the new cockney eastenders. :-X

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 August, 2015, 03:08:06 PM »
Many thanks Linda was raising our concerns direct with Newham Archives.
Doug

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 August, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »
Doug
Let's hope that now these people know they are being watched they will get fed up and go away!

Linda

Offline carol a price

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 August, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
 The last time Fred (Sherlock) was on the board was last year
or the year before , I cant remember . He said he had been away for a time
in the Bush and a croc (as he put it) had bitten half his leg off .
   He said he is now hoopalong Fred , I think he meant hopalong .
                                 Carol.

Offline linda c

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 August, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »
Unfortunately Brenda due to staff shortages the office is only open on Tuesdays and Thurs and the first Saturday in the month. Jenni said it is very hard for just the two of them to answer emails and catch up with phone messages.

I think it will take sometime to delete all these nuisance people especially the ones who are obviously trying use the forum to advertise their businesses. But hopefully our existing members will continue to post on the Forum and the ones who have drifted off because of this problem will return.

Best Wishes
Linda