Author Topic: Ice Cream  (Read 149 times)

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
Re: Ice Cream
« Reply #15 on: 12 August, 2017, 09:26:26 AM »
Morning all,
 Dickie Birds ice cream was on the Barking bypass A13 as mentioned. It was opposite King Edwards road and the east end of a group of factories that included Bulgins,  Epicure and some others. The site of it was on Highbridge Wharf a Timber wharf which led down to the Roding which in turn led to Barking creek .next to the site entrance was a group of 3 roads Westminster gds, craven gds, and Waverley gds this was where Bobby Moore grew up , they are all still there Bob,s old house is now owned by a charity for children .
As I remember Dickie Bird later became Neilsons as also mentioned. On the corner of Westminster gds and the by pass eas a very busy Transport cafe run by Harry Hawkes he also sold the newspapers from there ,and opposite his son Ron run the grocerey provision shop
All the best Ed

Offline nollanhej

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 August, 2017, 10:47:31 AM »
I had a advertising plate  referring to "Neilson's Canadian Ice cream". This has satisfied my curiosity at last!

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 August, 2017, 02:14:32 PM »
Still on the Ice cream link ,I remember during the early 70,s in the east end there as an Ice cream war amongst thesmall ice cream sellers in vans . This was about who had the best lucrative pitches in Tourist London .One of the naughty boys was a guy dubbed Eddie the Cornet King who came out of Manor park near the Railway.I had a run in with one of these sellars at this time on Tower Hill queueing behind some Tourists with my kids ,he was charging them 99p for a cornet advertised as a 99 can't remember the actual price at that time but I.m sure someone on here will, I tucked my t,shirt into me pants like the caped crusader and waded in telling him he was well out of order ,or words to that effect .
It was well known then that these fly boys were going to ruin our tourist trade, think it all quietened later, but I

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 August, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »
Just a thought before I slip off to the " Rocco " my local to watch the Hammers , nobody seems to have mentioned the other popular Ice creams , Dela mura and Murcoffs , very tasty

All the best Ed

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 August, 2017, 04:14:25 PM »
As the old saying goes,,
You scream..I scream.. We all scream for ice-scream,
 :)

Offline nollanhej

• Helpful user
    • View Profile