Author Topic: Makes You Proud  (Read 58 times)

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
Makes You Proud
« on: 24 July, 2017, 08:47:39 PM »
It is not often that I associate local government with feelings of pride, but...... I am reading the book 'The People' by the historian Selina Todd.

Selina comes from solid working class stock. Her studies gave rise to feelings that conventional history largely ignores the working people. Her book goes some way to remedying this situation. It is a study of the British working class from 1910 - 2010.

She covers the 1930's very well. It was a time of high unemployment and terrible poverty. At one point the mortality rate of new mothers was rising. Among the working class districts, West Ham had the lowest mortality rate for new mothers. The tories made much of this, claiming that it was proof that poverty was not a factor. West Ham was a very poor area at that time.

However the truth finally emerged that West Ham council was giving the best care for pregnant women in need out of all working class boroughs and this was what kept so many alive.

Well done West Ham Council.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: Makes You Proud
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:04:41 PM »
Hi  Bob..
I was born in the early thirties .. & spent my first weeks of life in poplar hostpital. Undergoing a life saving  operation.
I survived to tell the tale .. So they were doing something right.

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2017, 08:34:21 PM »
Hi Ron

I believe Poplar hospital was started by Samuel Gurney, another West Ham person.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
Cheers Bob.. :)