Author Topic: Fairbairn House Youth Club  (Read 223 times)

Offline Kwasind

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Fairbairn House Youth Club
« on: 04 October, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
Hi everyone.
I was a member of the FHYC around the 1950s played football, cricket and table tennis and remember going to Malines in Belgium (my first ever trip abroad) with the football team over Easter which I believe was a regular occurrence at that time. We played two matches, won one, lost one. As I was one of the youngest I doubt if there are to many left who will remember this as I am 82(yesterday) but would love to know if any one recalls this. Also had a friend George Guy who, apart from being a good footballer, was a first class amateur boxer who, I believe, captained the "Golden Gloves" team that went to America around that time. Last saw him boxing whilst doing National service (he won of cause) Happy days (or is it just the memory shuts out the bad ones?)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Fairbairn House Youth Club
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2017, 03:29:36 PM »
Hello Kwasind, Welcome to the board. I was never connected with Fairbairn House although working in Plaistow I was more than aware of their wide range of sporting activities. Hopeflly someone on the board may have knowledge to the foreign tours you mentioned.

I did look around for pictures of these event without success and the only picture I could find was of a unnamed Fairbairn House footballer that was taken in the 1930's

The photo comes from http://www.newhamphotos.com

Offline nollanhej

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2017, 04:07:27 PM »
Welcome Kwasind, 82! Did you do National Service? If you did, you'll know what I mean with "Get Some in" ::) ::) ::)

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2017, 05:15:30 PM »
Welcome kwasing.. Didn't have much to do with Fairbairn house .. used the dockland settlement my self,.

Offline Laramie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2017, 06:22:46 PM »
My dad George Whipp ran a football team for Fairbairn.Must have been late fifties,early sixities.I remember them winning a cup.Think we were over Hackney Marshes for the final.

Offline dave twitchett

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2017, 10:20:25 PM »
Some of my friends in the West Ham YHA  Group also attended Fairburn House and they told me tales of Old Bumble. Did you come up against him? Sincerely Dave Twitchett aka Miss Shopland'S Priest. Congrats on your 82nd Birthday. You are six months ahead of me.

Offline Kwasind

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2017, 12:30:41 PM »
Hi All
Yes, 2 years in the Royal Engineers in Osnabruck, Germany. Having previously served an apprenticeship in workshop engineering I got deferred so didn't go in till almost 22. Got put in charge of a fully equipped workshop vehicle 10 ton Albion, great to drive and operate so I was in my element. Only real job I was called on to do was a repair on a power boat at the officers yacht club in Dummersea! Oh, yes, and to "true up" the roulette wheel in their club!!
Dave, your probably referring Ian Horobin a politician in charge of the club. A very dubious character. You never accepted an invitation to his flat above the club!!!