Author Topic: IN TEA OR CAKE  (Read 671 times)

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
IN TEA OR CAKE
« on: 29 February, 2016, 11:02:21 PM »
When I was evacuated to Somerset from Limehouse in 1940 just before the blitz. I was very lucky to be billeted with a blacksmith. The lady of the house said to us that if we didn't have sugar in our tea, we could have cakes instead. Marvellous. To me it was a new world. Cream off the top of the milk on fresh honey straight from the hive, on a frame of some sort. Tripe, home-made jam, junket, etc. It was a different world. I even had a money-box [where the money came from I don't know], Evacuees versus country kids in the playground. [the big kids, of course]! I still don't  have sugar in my tea. Tripe? I couldn't face it then and I can't face it now. I was very lucky. Does anyone else have pleasant memories of the wartime years or was I just one of the lucky ones? 

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
Re: IN TEA OR CAKE
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2016, 05:16:58 PM »
HI John..
I think you were one of the lucky ones mate. I was evacuated  to Wiltshire ..me & my three brothers we had an awful time.
We were first posted to an elderly gentleman who had no children of his own , just a housekeeper, It went alright for a while , but he couldn't handle us rough & ready eastenders, & soon got shot of us.

We then went to an old couple who were obviously just in it for what they could get out of it. We had to sleep in a room  where an old  man was dying ..outside loo in a small shed  with a plank with a hole in it  which smelled  to high heaven.

Deprived of proper food , When my mum & dad visited which was not very often owing to my dad being a docker  was  moved to Cardiff unloading  munitions .
We were told by the woman we were living with .if you ask for any food while your parents are here you will get a good hiding.
Being a cheeky young boy & seeing my chance  when my dad was their   I asked for some bread & jam. in front of my dad. if looks could kill I would had died that moment.#
That evening we were thrown out of the house , & had to sleep under a haystack in the middle of winter.

These were awful times that I wouldn't like to live through again.
Regards Ron
« Last Edit: 02 March, 2016, 07:13:03 PM by ron copus »

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2016, 07:12:38 PM »
Hi Ron, Many sad experiences have often been relayed and documented over the years. My two sisters also had a very rough time in many different digs in Chard. The other three out of seven of us, faired very well. Before we all moved to Somerset we originally went to Bristol for a short while but for some reason I came home to Limehouse before going away again. I certainly know how very lucky I was. Believe me, not all the kids were as lucky as me. But for some reason I was home by 1942 in plenty of time for the V1 and V2's.  Forest Gate had there share like the rest of West and East Ham.   

Offline nemoscenic

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2016, 04:59:44 PM »
nellanhoj,seems like Ron and yourself experienced both sides of the coin with your evacuee lodgings!,looking back
I think I'd be alongside you regarding being lucky,my two sisters and two cousins left Nth Woolwich in june '40 for
Cornwall,one cousin(boy) and I ended up on a farm for three and half years with a couple who were renting it from
lord Falmouth,they were quite young and treated us well once we settled,being only six years old in july of that year
my memories aren't that clear,but going back to see them practically every year for holidays after the war,we got
reminded of all the adventures etc. we had,the girls were quite lucky too with the people who looked after them,
another time in history I suppose,kids today cannot imagine it all ?! regards Vic

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2016, 10:47:05 PM »
We were evacuated to a place in Essex called Duddenhoe End where we were set up in this old dilapidated old cottage which I have found since was built in the fourteen hundreds.
There were four families from the Canning town/Custm House area in this cottage.
I found out about two years ago that this cottage was sold for One point six million pounds!!!.
We were there for about two years no electricity sewerage or running water just a stand pipe down the lane apiece.
The toilet was a wooden seat with a hole cut into it in a tiny corrugated enclosure  over a pit dug beneath  which was cleaned out every six months or so by a man who had a perpetual Phew look on his face.
Regards Harry.I.

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2016, 10:59:37 PM »

Harry wrote:

"a man who had a perpetual Phew look on his face."

Brilliant and funny. :D :D :D

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:53:38 PM »
Hi nellanhoj in my minds eye I can still still see the "Phew man" coming down the lane in his battered trilby hat hacking jacket corduroy trousers with leather gaiters and brown boots that hav'nt seen polish for quite some time.
He always smoked a short stump of a clay pipe which was always upside down.
Added to the fact that my Gran always told us to be wary of him as he had a bone in his leg!!! the mind boggles.
Regards Harry. I.

Offline nollanhej

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:25:21 PM »
I lived in a village near Dunmow, Essex. It would seem not all evacuees returned home after the war. There was a few still there who have settled into country life nicely, and got council houses.