Author Topic: Shipman Rd School  (Read 1161 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Shipman Rd School
« on: 17 March, 2018, 11:48:01 AM »
Hi, are there any former pupils of Mr Davey out there who may recall the good times?
kenm

Offline harry

• View Profile
Re: Shipman Rd School
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2018, 01:56:16 PM »
hi Ken I was one of your classmates at shipman road and like you I often remember old classmates and wonder how life treated them over the years.
I remember some names Stanley Whinne George Hobbs bob brooks winkle Waite harry Dodds  prof Bavins  Colin Nichols  Jhon Chapple David Stone  Joyce Angel Elaine Mutter Lillian Stone Madge Bridger Rosie King Doreen Harvey Valerie Walker,and others that don,t come back to mind .
I believe Harry Dodds became a publican Colin Nichols I remember standing at the traffic lights at the junction of Becton road and Prince Regents lane in his police uniform complete with his sergeants stripes on view.
You gave a resume of your life perhaps others can fill in bits of some of the other ex pupils
Anyway nice to see another old name from the old site back in the fold as it were .
Regards Harry I

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2018, 04:19:51 PM »
Hi Harry, thanks for your reply,its good to hear from you.
I lost touch with most of my school pals when I went to start my apprenticeship at Tate & Lyles.
I did bump into George Hobbs after he had completed his National Service, I believe in Kenya.
Tommy Smith moved down here to Bournemouth some years ago, sadly he died last year.
I cannot recall many of the class names, but I do have a tatty photograph of the group taken in the playground by Mr Davey.
Looking at that will I hope prod the old brain cells into life.
Cheers
kenm

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »
(https://postimages.org/)

Any pupils in Mr Davey class may recall this being taken.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2018, 02:23:04 PM »
Hi Ken one of the lessons we had In Mr Daveys class was when we were asked to memorise a poem and I like most of the class picked a poem that was very short and so was easy to memorise.

There was one lad in the class that in my opinion picked the opposite he picked apoem called Young Lochinvar that seemd to go on for ever.This is where you have to give the old grey cells a prod,the lads name was Ronald Tuff,remember that name from around 1948Ken .    Regards H Isles

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2018, 01:17:53 PM »
Harry, when I first joined the fire service, they had educational exercises by post to help encourage an individuals standard or writing. One of those exercised was to learn a poem which started off, "Little words mean big things like love, peace, hate, war". It then went on to describe how big words often mean little things. It was a way of saying it is better when writing to use small well chosen powerful words that contain a lot of meaning.

I have tried finding that poem on the internet, so far without success. I recall it ended up with words to the effect, that if all else fails, then use big words to confound your enemies. The lessons I learned from that simple poem certainly have stood me well over the years.

Offline Laramie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2018, 06:32:03 PM »
Hi Mick Poem you were thinking about  might be this one.Called Never Fear Big Long Words.Big Long Words Mean Little Things. By Arthur Kudner . Look it up on anvari.org
Pretty sure this is the one,by what you said.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2018, 07:14:08 PM »
Hello Laramie, many thanks for that. Now I know the line to quote in Google I quickly found it.

It is a long time ago since I read it which is why I could not quite remember the words, but yes that is the one. When I was originally taught it, the key object of the exercise was all about communication. The ability to accurately pass on your thoughts in such a way the reader will completely understand  Not only has the lessons learned from this little poem greatly helped me throughout my life. I also know when reading something written by someone else whether they are waffling or not. It's amazing how many wafflers there are out there.

Never fear big long words.
 Big long words mean little things.
 All big things have little names,
 Such as life and death, peace and war,
 Or dawn, day, night, hope, love, home.
 Learn to use little words in a big way.
 It is hard to do,
 But they say what you mean.
 When you don't know what you mean,
 Use big words--
 That often fools little people.
 -- Arthur Kudner

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 July, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »
Hi Harry, I vaguely recall the ,Ronald Tuff, but cannot put a face to the name. But I do remember the exercise, re, learning a poem & like you I chose a one liner. Great teacher, great times.

Hi MickG, Brexit has brought out the wafflers, my vote must go to Mr Trump.

It is nice to see some activity on the forum again.
kenm.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 July, 2018, 01:35:18 PM »
Hi Ken The sort of poem that would readily come to mind  was one I remember said by one of our classmates no names no  pack drill, was  The boy stood on the burning deck picking his nose like mad rolling it up in little balls and flicking them at his Dad boom boom!!!
Regards Harry .I

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 July, 2018, 01:40:13 PM »
Hi Mick how true words are to that poem.

Regards Harry I

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 July, 2018, 02:31:41 PM »
Hi all in the last couple of weeks I found on you tube a poem put to music and sung by Paul Robeson the poem was by Joyce Kilmer.
 I found it was one of those tunes that you get stuck in your head and have a job to get rid of.
Might I suggest you give it a try and see what you think the poem was called Trees.
Regards Harry I.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #12 on: 16 July, 2018, 11:00:08 PM »
Hello Harry, Trees by Joyce Kilmer and sung by Paul Robeson I have always liked. I incorporated into my website several years ago at;

https://micksmuses.com/2016/11/06/there-will-never-be-a-poem-lovely-as-a-tree/

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 July, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »
Harry, another one out of your bumper fun book.
I have just played Trees sung by Paul Robeson from a vinyl track, a truly wonderful voice, even the vinyl hissing & cracking makes it special.
Another talented person ripped to pieces by the yanks for speaking his mind.
kenm

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 August, 2018, 01:11:01 PM »
Hi Ken Talking of old school mates the firm I worked for sold the works at Stratford and moved to Hertford road Barking.
The river Roding ran around the back of the new works and was tidal connected to the river Thames and it was not unusual to see Barges moving up and down the river.
One  day to my surprise I spotted an old school mate strolling through the works to get to Hertford Road as a way of going home.
The mates name was Davey who,s nick name at school was Davos it  turned out that he was a Lighterman and he was moving a barge loaded with logs for a veneer firm up river from Barking Creek.
Obviously the barge had to move with the tide and when the tide turned he tied barge up until the tide changed and he could continue moving the barge up river to its destination quite a task for one man !!!.

Regards Harry.I.