Author Topic: match box  (Read 1211 times)

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
match box
« on: 15 October, 2017, 06:31:27 PM »
its a strange feeling when i think back to the times long before the old Newham was changed for ever into the new re developed place it is today,
i can remember looking into toys shops  and news agents shops which some sold toys and it was then i saw and bought many match box toy cars , my son when he was about five years old had i think 80 from memory as when ever any asked what to buy him , i replied match box toy cars,
little then did i know that the match box factory was very close to hackney marshes, and many years later became a casualty of either re development or simply that the match box toy cars had had their day,

Q; What memories do you have of that time, and will you tell us about them,

Offline nollanhej

• View Profile
Re: match box
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »
I believe it had a new life in Basildon. Models were available for years after they left the marshes!

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2017, 09:06:36 PM »
Was Matchbox toys later to become Lesneys ? or am I mistaken . During late 40,s me Mum used to buy me the Rolls Royce of model cars Dinkey Toys not that we were well off but the detail on them was superb, still have a few left but worse for wear .Makes me laugh on thse Antique shows they ask when shown a old model ,have you still got the original box , get real we loved those toys and used them and swapped them over the years , so the box was ripped and damaged and finally binned , so the answer was no .
All the best Ed

Offline nollanhej

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2017, 09:39:49 PM »
Sympathetic to your comments the other noticeable thing is they always want a fortune at events and fairs, but when it comes to selling them . . . they're either the wrong colour, no box, wrong tyres, no misprint and too many about.  Of course there was,
 they were made in a factory! Synic! Me? . . . Never!

Offline burnsy

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2017, 12:39:23 PM »
the box was ripped and damaged and finally binned

The box was ripped off and binned on day 1. No 7 or 8 year old was interested in boxes. Don't tell me what my James Bond Aston Martin Dinky would be worth now, in the original box, I had a lot more fun playing with it than looking at it.

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2018, 07:54:38 PM »
The things that newsagents sold in those days was amazing. I too collected matchbox cars (loved my Corgi and dinky models as well). One paper shop at least in my area sold toy soldiers which I also loved.

Then came stamp collecting. Many newsagents used to have packets of foreign stamps. You would get many duplicates which if you were lucky you could swap.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2018, 01:34:39 PM »
Another collectors item was cigarette cards, nice pictures of almost everything would exchange hands many times.
A game of flicking them up against the wall was popular, closest to the wall was the winner & would take the cards.
kenm

Offline indaloman

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »
I used to take the kids into East Ham Market toy shop and each week bought the kids a Matchbox car. I also used to pay in 5 bob a week for kids chrissy presents, bought all the Thunderbird toys. How happy we would be if all those toys had been kept in their boxes and we still had them today.

Offline nollanhej

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2018, 08:23:49 PM »
Another collectors item was cigarette cards, nice pictures of almost everything would exchange hands many times.
A game of flicking them up against the wall was popular, closest to the wall was the winner & would take the cards.
kenm

I learnt a lifetime lesson about people and being taken in when I was about seven and was evacuated in wartime Somerset; I had a handful of picture cards and was challenged by this slightly older country boy to play flick up the wall, I lost the lot in as many minutes as I had cards. . . . many years when playing ciggy cards back in Forest Gate, I happened to pick up a card flicked by a kid and Wondebar! A well learned lesson, it was a doubler, . . . my mind went back when I was a Chard evacuee! More than careful now! IT seems that country bumkins are a myth!

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »
Hi Ken et al ,I seem to recall playing flicking the cards up against the wall in the play ground at shipman road school and found that one of the tricks to make the card fly straight was to lick one edge of the card before flicking the card ,not very hygienic I know but in those days????.
I also recall a lad who was quite good at conkers he always managed to smash your conker no matter how you had pickled or hardened you conker.
I managed to get from him how he always smashed your conker It was sleight of hand!!!
On one end of his string he would have a standard conker on the other end he would have a three quarter inch hex nut.
He would the hold his conker up for you to have a swing at and if you missed he would hold his conker in his hand and swing at yours with his three quarter nut and voila your poor old conker smashed to smithereens .
Ken do you remember the name Reg Gaine (or Gane) clever lad.
Regards Harry.I.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2018, 01:28:57 PM »
Hi Harry, its nice to hear from you.
Yes I remember Reg Gane, he lived in Baxter Rd near to Connaught Approach. Reg, Reg Talbot, Peter Oliver & myself were motorcycle pals & often played tennis on the Rec hardcourts. Reg done his national service in the RASC & posted to Germany 2 years before me so we lost touch.
The last that I heard about him was that he had turned his hand to printing business cards.
Kenm