Author Topic: Street names  (Read 590 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
Street names
« on: 14 April, 2018, 01:49:51 PM »
Hi All, I have always wondered how Coolfin Rd got its unusual name.
Have any Custom Hse wizards got any thoughts or answers?

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
Re: Street names
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2018, 01:05:43 PM »
Ken, sorry can't help you, but I also have a strange question , my Mum was born in Martindale rd just along from Coolfin and it seems that most of my Uncles and Aunts Were , well after WWII nothing remained and with the Keirhardy estate rebuilt the Martindale rd was renamed Clemence ave , well a few years ago the name was changed to guess Martindale Ave   .

All the best Ed

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2018, 02:51:04 PM »
Hi Ed, another change of name comes to mind, that of Connaught Approach to Randolph Approach.
Now that Randolph Rd has been commited to history, will Connaught Approach be reborn?
KenM.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2018, 09:55:47 PM »
Ken, I have tried researching the origins of the name Coolfin, but there is very little about it. There are a couple of locations with than name in Ireland and there is reference to it possibly being a derivative of the Lakes of Cold Flynn but not much else.

I did also look at the genealogy site I subscribe and which has extensive records, but that lists only one person as having that name. All of this tends to make the naming origins of the road something of a mystery. The only other possibility is that 'Coolfin' was a invented word.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2018, 11:03:55 AM »
Thank you Mick for your research into Coolfin.
Such an unusual name, I did believe there was a story to be told.
Cheers
Ken

Offline dave twitchett

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »
Have just bought a postcard of Montpelier Gardens c1908 when I believe newly built.What a neat and tidy place it was then. No parked cars of course and no do it yourselfers to alter the porches and thus spoil the effect of the terrace. The London plane trees which line the street were newly planted saplings still with their  stakes. After being bombed out in Geoffrey I lived in Montpelier Gdns from 1941 -1958 .I often wondered why the French name, and whether the plane trees were meant to give the place some French ambiance. Whatever, every fall the leaves came in handy each November for stuffing  our guys. Everybody pronounced the word as though it were  English-MONT PEELIA. I never once in all those years heard anybody recite the name French fashion. I am surprised to see the Plane trees still there and pollarded annually which must be labour intensive and costly. Just as well though as when the water table was high the coal cellars flooded. How much worse would it have been had not those trees lifted a lot of moisture from the soil, which after all was reclaimed drained marshland. On the postcard in the dim distance I can make out  buildings in Geoffrey Gardens which must have predated the terrace where the bombs dropped  which looked interwar to me so would not have been there  in 1908. Anybody know what those buildings were? Sincerely Dave Twitchett

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2018, 12:13:14 PM »
Hi Dave Twitchett, This is a longshot & nothing to do with street names.
Did you have  a Connie in your family, as I was in same class as Connie at Shipman Rd school?
Kenm

Offline dave twitchett

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2018, 03:53:14 PM »
No Ken M. Never heard of a Connie. T. But then my father had two dozen cousins none of whom I ever saw. Those two dozen will have multiplied  over and over again in different generations since. Don't give up though. I've asked our Twitchett GOON to check the database. I suspect she is descended from one of my Grandfather's brothers. Will revert Sincerely Dave T

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2018, 04:44:43 PM »
Thanks Dave for the feedback. The Connie I knew would be in her 80s if that will assist in family search.
Kenm

Offline dave twitchett

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2018, 09:49:35 PM »
Ken M. Have now had the Twitchett family History database checked  and find that Connie  a second cousin of mine. I never met her but I have met her brother Stan a couple of times. He is a supporter of our one name family history circle. Her father and mine used to get drunk together!!! One of the two cousins father kept in touch with.  Regards Dave T

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2018, 11:04:52 AM »
Dave T, thanks for reply, I believe many of our dads used to enjoy a dram or two in those days.
KenM.