Author Topic: Public Libraries  (Read 405 times)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Public Libraries
« on: 11 July, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »
Public libraries have been for many the long time mainstay source of recreation. Just as important as parks, cinemas or perhaps a night out on the town, there is nothing better for some than becoming engrossed and perhaps lost in a good novel. To allow the author's thoughts to become intermingled with ones own imagination in a form of private escapism from the world for a few hours. Libraries have existed for a long time but mainly for the elite to access in institutions. The coming of the public library coupled with ever growing literacy in the 19th century finally afforded a new source of knowledge for the masses. As they grew many libraries provided reading rooms of public newspapers too. They were the internet of their day. Reference libraries proved to be a invaluable source of information as authors passed on their knowledge on given subjects for posterity.

Most local authorities including East and West Ham provided well stocked libraries in easily accessible locations.

To 'kick' the subject off I have included a couple of pictures of Plaistow Library located in North Street near the Broadway.

Plaistow Library taken from North Street facing the Plaistow Broadway/Greengate Street junction. The picture is undated but there are no overhead electric tram wires or cables. The road surface appears unmade and the long gone public urinal that used to be in the middle of Plaistow Broadway can be seen. I would estimate about c1910.

Another undated picture of the library with Stirling Road on the right. I do not know when Plaistow Library was built but the boys wearing knickerbockers suggests around the turn of the 20th century.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
Re: Public Libraries
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2017, 09:18:55 PM »
Hi, stood roughly where this picture was taken , stirling rd and greengate st  in2014 watching london leg of Tour de France , by the time I adjusted me camera , woosh , they all flew bye , they don't ang about those boys .

All the best Ed

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2017, 05:28:47 PM »
The great Scottish turned American industrialist Andrew Carnegie became one of the worlds great philanthropists. One thing Carnegie sponsored was the building of public libraries throughout the world.  The old County Boroughs of East and West Ham both benefited from Carnegie's generosity in the form of two public libraries. One in Custom House and the other in Manor Park.

Carnegie Library, Prince Regent Lane, Custom House

Carnegie Library, Romford Road, Manor Park

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2017, 07:35:43 PM »
Used to use the one in  PR lane custom house regular.
 When I moved  to canning town I used the one in the barking rd.
Ron.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2017, 09:59:37 PM »
When I was an Apprentice carpenter /Joiner in the Docks 1960 we used to hold our A.S.W. woodworkers union meetings at Barking public library opposite Police Station .It was burnt to the ground middle 60s ? and our meetings were moved about 200 mtrs by Blakes Corner to the  Brewery Tap , so you can imagine the meetings got a bit livley as the evening progreesed . The pub is still there but not sure about the library's ruins  .
 All the best Ed

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2017, 08:32:15 AM »
Living in East Ham my sister and I used to go to the Children's Library at the Town Hall. It was separate from the main library and you went through the same gates as you did when going to the Swimming Baths. It was up a flight of stairs and the bookcases were dark wood.
Not sure when it closed but when we were older we used the main library.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »
The original Stratford Public Library in Water Lane. This grand building still exists but is now part of the campus of the University of East London.

Stratford Library, Water Lane

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2017, 09:31:17 PM »
Hi Mick

A nice picture. I used this library from infancy to my thirties. I can still remember my first two books from the childrens section.

Offline Andrew_S_Hatton

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »
What were they?
Andrew S Hatton

Offline biff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 September, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »
Can anyone remember there used to be a small museum somewhere along the Romford Road. It was basically a big shop that had various exhibits mainly to do with Epping Forest. I think it was past the swimming baths if you were coming from the Princess Alice but for the life of me I can't remember where it was.

Offline dave twitchett

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 September, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »
Nice pic with the hossancart. My Grandfather's house ought to be in that picture but I do not recognise it. 108 The Broadway where the trolleybuses parked outside in later years.  The address was always 108 The Broadway as confirmed by many old postcards amongst the family   archives. All addressed to The Broadway. Had a lot of fun finding it on a census where it was listed as 108 High Street. Anybody familiar with the street know if 108 is there or perhaps out of pic. East Ham library once banned me for not taking a book back and they sent a  man to collect it and the fine. Father was not too pleased. Sincerely Dave Twitchett

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:07:02 PM »
Dave if you paste the following link into your browser, you should see your Grandad's  old home on Google Street View.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5293323,0.0246645,3a,73.9y,183.41h,90.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIELZLEA09-M2w4Dd_9zzRQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Offline nollanhej

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:01:39 PM »
Biff. I'm wondering if you are thinking of the Passmore Edwards Museum near the crossroads of Romford Rd, and Water lane, and Vicarage Lane, adjacent to the library in MickG's picture [above]?

Offline biff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 September, 2017, 05:06:27 PM »
Well done nolanhej I think you're right. I have looked at some photos of it on the net and Its not how I pictured it
but then it was a good many years ago that I am talking about.

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #14 on: 16 September, 2017, 05:21:44 PM »
Biff, This is a much older picture of the Passmore Edwards Museum that you might recognise.

Passmore Edwards Museum.

This picture also show the Passmore Edwards Museum in relation to the West Ham Technical Institute in Water Lane.

« Last Edit: 16 September, 2017, 10:16:14 PM by MickG »