Author Topic: Hi everyone!  (Read 9994 times)

Offline biff

• View Profile
Re: Hi everyone!
« Reply #30 on: 09 May, 2015, 06:07:09 PM »
Here is the photo

Offline bites yer spokes

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 May, 2015, 10:22:27 PM »
  Re Clarks Coaches ,
       I reckon the geese guarding the yard may have been around in the early 70's . I used to travel to Hammers away games on a hired Clarks coach around then and having stopped at the Boleyn to let off eastern bound fans a few of us got off at the yard  that was opposite the bike shop at that part of the Beckton road .
       I remember my father saying that his dad told him the founder of the firm  was a Dock foreman  who invested his money wisely in the firm (unlike Grandad who invested unwisely in the 2.30 at Brighton etc )  and his coaches carried the names of some of the ships that he used to work on. I seem to recall one coach by the name of Highland Chieftan .   
             Regards All.

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 May, 2015, 03:38:07 PM »
Bitr yer spokes,yes your right , although I don't remember the coaches names, there certainly was 4 Royal mail line ships, they were known as the Highland  Chieften, Brigade, Monarch, and Princess. One of these not sure which was possibly the first Ship I ever boarded when I started work as a Blacksmith's Lad in Harland and Wolff's Nth Woolwich.
Climbing the gangway then in 59 it seemed huge but within about a year the 4 were sold for scrap I think.

All the best Ed

Offline Andrew_S_Hatton

• New to the board
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Eastern Belle Coaches
« Reply #33 on: 31 July, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »
Greetings - I have signed up as a consequence of finding this thread following a long internet search after my curiosity was aroused by an enquiry in a Facebook Group about Eastern Belle Coaches.

It took me about 6 or 7 goes - there is too much to remember and copy over and one has to start all over if it goes wrong - which it did for me.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/459030825252/permalink/10155839503750253/?comment_id=10155854797845253&offset=0&total_comments=82&comment_tracking={%22tn%22%3A%22R3%22} (https://www.facebook.com/groups/459030825252/permalink/10155839503750253/?comment_id=10155854797845253&offset=0&total_comments=82&comment_tracking={%22tn%22%3A%22R3%22})

I have found that one Eastern Belle coach is still being used and was involved in a run out in May this year. I found it mentioned in Flickr and elsewhere but cannot recall the detail now - the vehicle is owned by Roger someone or other who has a large collection and I think lives in the Midlands.

There are lots of photos of that one vehicle on the Internet - some linked in this thread.

There is also a model of the coach available for purchase via ebay and possibly model shops as well as being beautifully photographed by a man who does not like his pictures being reposted without prior permission.  If you search for Eastern Belle coaches it come high up - unlike this forum which was on about the fourth page.

If others are active who have knowledge of the company they may wish to post directly into the Bow Facebook group I have linked.

- - - - - - -

The security for this message-board is the strongest I have ever known and I suspect puts of posters

I have not found a summary of information about the company, which I now understand is connected with Clark's at East Ham and I think I read of a third name as well.

Lets see if this brings any responses. Thanks for the information.
Andrew S Hatton

Offline Andrew_S_Hatton

• New to the board
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Eastern Belle Coaches
« Reply #34 on: 31 July, 2015, 03:07:26 PM »
The person who did have that coach and probably still does is Roger Burdett and here is an article about his collection with a picture of the Eastern Belle coach at the right hand end of the photo at the top of the web page.

http://www.focustransport.org.uk/yburdett1.aspx (http://www.focustransport.org.uk/yburdett1.aspx)
Andrew S Hatton

Offline Andrew_S_Hatton

• New to the board
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #35 on: 01 August, 2015, 07:53:11 PM »
I have been sent this image

Andrew S Hatton

Offline Andrew_S_Hatton

• New to the board
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #36 on: 01 August, 2015, 07:58:54 PM »
And of the other side: -

From Kevin Ellis the bloke that runs this website: -

http://www.modelbuszone.co.uk/ (http://www.modelbuszone.co.uk/)
Andrew S Hatton

Offline Paul clarkson

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13 May, 2016, 05:24:42 AM »
My Dad worked for clarkes coaches early 70 's. They did have geese at the back of the yard near the outside toilet. After they moved from Becton road they went to St Andrews road  between the baby arms and green gate just before you go over the hill. Used to park in the road.

Offline danhicks

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »
Nothing to do with coaches but...

Guard geese were not unique to the coach yard; there was at least one employed at Thomas Feast's yard in Parker Street/Drew Road, Silvertown during the Fifties. More recently I lived in a cottage on a farm where next door's goose took a distinct dislike to me and would threaten me vociferously whenever he (I think it was a he, although I don't claim to be an expert) decided to take a stroll through my garden if I had the audacity to be sitting there with a beer.

Needless to say, I would invariably retreat indoors until he had finished his meanderings. Well, you can't be too careful - apparently they can break a man's arm with one swipe of a wing - or am I thinking of swans...?

Dan

Offline Tkadmin

• Administrator
  • New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02 June, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »
Hello all!

Offline smithcarlos

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:15:06 AM »
I remember a booking office on the right hand side of the Beckton Rd as you approached Barking Rd. It was about 50 yards from the Barking Rd.  It was Timpson coaches that were booked there, mostly to Southend.

i have also booking office on the left side.
so we become a friend
Mr.Merry

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 September, 2017, 07:59:38 AM »
Hello Tkadmin
I have just seen your post dated 2nd June 2017. Would you be able to tell us how the Newham Forum is progressing please.
Gradually several of our former members have returned but have you managed to contact everyone who used to contribute to the Forum?
Also we haven't been able to look at old photos or post new photos at the moment and wondered if you know when that will be rectified.
Thank you

Linda

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:14:28 PM »
Linda,  best of luck with this request , and who are these new Admin staff ,and what happened to the people like yourself who volunteered to man the
 admin side , won't make to much of a fuss though c'os it least we are up and running , sort o f       All the best Ed.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:38:30 AM »
Hi Ed
The last I heard was they were going to appoint some independent moderators as they thought it might be awkward for forum members to take on.
It's great that the Forum is up and running but such a shame that lots of the original members haven't been informed. Hopefully it will get sorted soon.
Hope you are well

Linda

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 14 September, 2017, 04:59:08 PM »
Linda ,
       as I understand the FORUM is maintained by Newham ,so, as an idea could they not advertise locally in the newspapers that we are open for business so some old members could pick up on this , as some like myself are not on the likes of Facebook etc     Ed