Author Topic: Pretoria's football team  (Read 5602 times)

Offline 46vintage

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Pretoria's football team
« on: 26 October, 2012, 09:30:05 AM »
Did anyone play football for Pretoria in the 1950's? My school team (Earlham Grove) played against them but I cannot remember if we played them at West Ham Park or the Recreation Ground adjacent to Whalebone Lane. I have this memory of their team walking along the road (either Portway or Densham Road) just outside the park fence. Their "strip" was yellow and black (squares?) and stood out clearly on that winter's day. I am sure we must have played them several times but I can only remember that occasion.

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
Re: Pretoria's football team
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2012, 04:16:47 PM »
I remember playing against Pretoria in the 1953/4 season, as a 12 yrar old. This was on the 'infamous' cinder pitch at the Recreation ground, PRL. For the life of me I can't remember the colour shirts they wore, but their shorts were sky blue. I had never seen such shorts in schools football before. Their Captain and centre half was Alan Seeley, and alongside him at half back was a boy whose surname was Caskey. The next season, this boy changed his position to goalkeeper and went on to play for West Ham boys in that position. Unfortunately, he was very small, and on leaving school he blamed his lack of height as the reason for not being taken on by a professional club. Personally, I thought he was just not good enough. I later saw an article in the 'Stratford Express' detailing how he was undertaking body stretching exercises and various methods to try and make himself taller. I thought that a little bit sad, but it is very difficult to give up a schoolboys dream.

Alan 

Offline Bill Sharpe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »
When I played for Pretoria the captain was Frank Lampard and one of the centre-backs was John Still, now the manager of Dagenham and Redbridge. A couple of years below me was Clive Charles who also later played for West Ham. Our football teachers were Mr Docherty and West Ham player John Bond.

Offline Joseph Hunt

• Helpful user
  • Lived in E16 and E13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2012, 09:25:35 PM »
I knew John Still when he worked at Venestas at Bow. I think his Dad worked there as well.  Joe

Offline Bill Sharpe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2012, 04:19:46 AM »
Age has dimmed my brain but Yellow and black squares resonates in my mind.

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 November, 2012, 08:29:21 AM »
When I played for the school team, SWHTS 1953 - 57, each year had different colours. I remember this, because the position I played, goalkeeper, had a different coloured jersey each year, and as these jerseys were always a bit 'moth eaten', my old Mum used to buy me a new jersey at the beginning of every season. Maybe Pretoria had this system of a different kind of shirt each year.

Alan

Offline sarahjoe

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 November, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »
hey everyone
nice post and discussion thanks for sharing i really like :)
We are the pioneers in providing 70-463 exam - braindumps (http://www.braindumps.com/70-463.htm) dumps and Exam Collection 117-102 (http://www.braindumps.com/117-102.htm) tutorials with 100% exam pass guarantee. Download our latest lssu.edu (http://www.lssu.edu/)

Offline bites yer spokes

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 April, 2015, 10:56:43 PM »
    Re Frank Caskey. I am pretty sure he went on to work in the Royal Docks as I believe my father knew him and possibly worked with him.
    I have seen photos of the West Ham United youth team with him in it and he appears to be the smallest lad in the line up. He did play in the 1959 FA Youth Cup Final with 4 lads who did make it ; Jack Burkett ,Eddie Bovington and a pair called Geoff Hurst and Bobby Moore. Other teammates
were Ron Boyce ,Brian Dear and to complete the set Martin Peters .
    Oh for a production line like that these days .

Offline Doug45

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2015, 10:56:45 PM »
Not sure but I would imagine John Charles, Clive's older brother, probably played for Pretoria. I know he went from Star Lane primary to Pretoria when he was eleven and he played for West Ham after he left school before Clive did.

Offline Terry the Hammer

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 September, 2015, 12:39:57 PM »
I think my Dad, Albert Goldsmith, played for Pretoria in 1956-57. He would have been 13/14 yrs old. He also played for West Ham school boys and later signed a contract with Leyton Orient although he never played a game for them. I'm struggling to find any evidence linking him with any of the clubs, does anybody recall him?

Offline Tony Mac

• New to the board
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2016, 11:59:31 PM »
A very good friend of my dad's, called Clive Lewis, was a star player for Pretoria in the early 50s.

Clive and my father (Terry McDonald, who played for Harold Road School) both went on to represent West Ham Schoolboys district team and joined West Ham United straight from school. They played together in the Hammers' Colts team beaten by Manchester United in the 1957 FA Youth Cup Final.

Although Clive didn't turn pro, he enjoyed a good part-time football career as skipper of non-league Barking, while working full-time in the docks.

Later, he ran the Earl of Beaconsfield pub in Grange Road, Plaistow.

Sad to report that Clive died peacefully in his sleep at home in Colchester last weekend, aged 77. He was a lovely man and a great local character who used to sing in numerous East End pubs.

« Last Edit: 17 May, 2016, 12:09:03 AM by Tony Mac »