Author Topic: BOB A JOB,  (Read 1319 times)

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
BOB A JOB,
« on: 11 April, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »
Going back in time when once a year the boy scouts would call asking if you wanted bob a job done, ,  and many simply found them something or other, simply to help them fund their cause,  in those times there was the brownies, the cubs, and the boys brigade, just some of the activity groups of those times,it was a period when young children and youths were caught up in a variety of different  schemes,

from memory I think  there was a boys club at the top of Alnwick  road, on the corner next to prince regents lane,
im not sure if it was called the Bancroft club, if im wrong then perhaps other forum members will correct me.

Q :    do you remember a time in the past when there were lots of activity to keep children and youths off the streets, and boys clubs helped as they had a lot of indoor activities to occupy them. 

what do you remember of those times .and will you share your memories with us,

many regards to you all

GEORGIAN ,

Offline Alf still

• View Profile
Re: BOB A JOB,
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2016, 01:25:55 PM »

Hi Georgian
                    I use to go to the Bancroft youth club at the top of Alnwick Rd, it was a , good youth club they had a small snooker or pool table, dart board and lots of board games on the tables,you could also buy  a cup of tea ,soft drink or a cake,but the best thing was a record player,so every one use to bring their favorite 78rpm,record in and play it,so we use to have a evening of all the top songs of the time,like Johnnie Ray,Eddie Fisher,Guy Mitchell,Frankie Laine,Rosemany Clooney,Billy Eckstine,and all the other favorite singers of the 50s.There was never any trouble hardly any realy bad swearing just a lot of youngsters enjoying their selfs and one and others company.I don't think that sort of thing would go down well nowdays,that is why I think youth clubs  are a thing of the past another nice and happy thing gone

Regards     Alf

Offline Alf still

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2016, 01:33:56 PM »

http://carolynspreciousmemories.com/50s/sitemap.html

By the way, if you wish to hear those old 50s song again,cick unto the above.

Cheers Alf

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »
Thank you alf,

yes I do remember those days how ever I only went into the Bancroft club once, I think I was  a guest

but as you quite rightly say those were  nice times,

many regards to you,

GEORGIAN,

Offline Ken P

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2016, 05:51:41 PM »
As a boy I was always up to mischief!

To keep me occupied I was:

1) A member of the 48th West Ham (May Wynne's Own) Cubs in Butchers Road E.16

2) A member of the Sea Cadets T.S. Warrior - we used the church hall at the back of St Joachims primary school just off of Prince Regent Lane

3) Cycling with Becontree Wheelers C.C. Based in Hornchurch (I rode there and back on club nights!)

And finally

4) Boxing at the Black Lion Boxing Club in Plaistow....

...and I was STILL full of energy!!!!

(Wish it was the same today!!)

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2016, 06:52:33 PM »
Hi ken ..I attended the black lion boxing club for a while in the forties.
Old myers used to run the club then.
I wonder if it is still going?
Regards Ron.

Offline GEORGIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2016, 06:54:12 PM »
thank you ken,and Ron,

you've certainly had more energy than I ,any way thank you fro your memories,

many regards to you,

GEORGIAN,

Offline Doc1157

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2016, 05:26:22 PM »
I was a Cub Scout at a troop that met at St. Francis church in the Grove, Stratford. We also had "bob a job" week and I remember having to work my butt off during the week.

I remember some people would save up all their horrible jobs for us, gardening mostly or digging holes. I do recall an old lady though who lived nearby who just wanted some company. She would ask the troop for help with something or another and when we arrived she would make us endless cups of tea (or if we were really lucky, Ribena), with lots of biscuits or sandwiches. Lovely old dear just wanted a chat as she lived alone and her kids had all moved away. She would talk fondly of her Albert (I'm amazed I can remember his name), who didn't come back from the war and how she raised her kids alone.

She would say it was worth every penny of the shilling to have young people in the house again.

B.   

Offline Stan Dyson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2016, 11:07:52 AM »
It was 1955 & I was a cub during ‘Bob-a-job Week’ wandering down Canning Town’s Rathbone Street market.  I was drawn towards a man selling tins of something named ‘Jill Cream (Maybe Gill Cream?)’ and I asked him what it was for.  He said it cleans most things up, especially tarnished metal.  He gave me a short demo and I was impressed so I bought a tin.  When I got home I then went out to test the stuff with some of mum’s old rags as dusters.

My first call was at the Vigzol Oil Company in West Silvertown’s Bradfield Road.  I walked into the office area in the section between Knights Rd & Bradfield Rd and just walked into reception and asked if there was anything I could clean?  The reception woman laughed & said ‘No thanks’ but a guy standing by her said that I could clean up his motorbike in the yard.  He wanted a demo first to make sure it didn’t damage the chrome areas.  I was a bit nervous because I hadn’t actually tried it out myself.  I applied the cream to the dirty & tarnished chrome handlebars first and after a good rub I polished it off.  They looked like new!  He was well impressed & after I’d finished the rest of the bike he gave me 2/6d!  That was 1/- for cubs & 1/6d for me!  I almost went into local business with that tin of Jill Cream and returned to the Rathbone debri where the guy was selling it a fortnight later to by more tins, but he was no longer there.  Does anyone else recall this ‘Jill Cream?’.
« Last Edit: 16 April, 2016, 11:10:14 AM by Stan Dyson »

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 April, 2016, 12:10:36 PM »
Some  lovely stories about "Bob a Job" Cubs and Scouts. Doc your post reminded me of the boys knocking at our door in their uniforms and mum finding jobs for them to do and giving them drinks and biscuits and of course a shilling.

Stan your post really made me laugh! Very enterprising of you, I will have to ask my mum who is 90 whether she remembers Jill Cream.

I was a Brownie in 1957 and we used to have an event called "Willing Shilling" week when the Brownies and Guides would do the same as the Cubs and Scouts and would do jobs for neighbours in exchange for a shilling. My sister and I would start off doing some jobs for mum, and then go up and down our street in East Ham in our uniforms knocking on neighbours doors and asking for jobs.

Thank you Georgian for this interesting post which I'm sure will jog the memories of lots of forum members.

Linda

Offline indaloman

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 February, 2018, 07:26:55 PM »
I too was a Boy Scout and on my first Bob a Job I worked a whole week in some skinflints garden in Milton Avenue at at the end of the week, you've guessed it, he gave me one shilling! I was mortified, all my Patrol raised Pounds!