Author Topic: Greek style hyroglyphic posts from "New Members"  (Read 1169 times)

Offline dave twitchett

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Greek style hyroglyphic posts from "New Members"
« on: 02 November, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »
Do these translate as genuine enquiries for people who speak the same language? Are they translated at all? Or are we helping terrorists to communicate in code. Please advise. Sincerely Dave Twitchett

Offline linda co

• View Profile
Re: Greek style hyroglyphic posts from "New Members"
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2017, 08:43:24 PM »
Hello Dave
I have reported these posts and the other posts with unsuitable content to Admin but they haven't been deleted yet.
I'm not sure why these people continue posting but think your theory is very interesting.
Best wishes
Linda

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »
Hi Linda, Unfortunately this seems to be a repeat of the situation that occurred 18 months ago before the site was taken down for some months. It is one reason why I have not made many postings or been on the site since it's re-launch. Surely it is not beyond the capabilities of someone in the Admin team to remove these posts on a daily basis and ensure that the "members" are permanently blocked. Dougt

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
Hi Doug
It's been a while now since I last rang the Admin office so I'm not sure what is happening with the site. I know we still can't access or post photos so it looks like they still have problems. It's such a shame as former members started to drift back and also a few newbies. Also we seem to be getting lots of these unsuitable posts which unfortunately aren't being deleted.
Linda

Offline carol a price

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2017, 10:25:09 AM »
I report the rubbish posts a well because they could be anything as we dont understand them but it takes quite a few days/weeks before anyone removes anything . I dont think there is a designated moderator just someone thats looks at it when they remember . I have been trying to get the other part put back on (the whole of the newham story) but keep getting told they are still working on it and it takes time . In this computer age new websites can be up and running within a day so why cant the old website  be sorted ? I contacted again a few weeks a go with a similar reply. In the beginning I first contacted Stratford library regarding this with no joy so asked for the email address of the person in charge    which I have put on here in case anyone else whats to give their view and ask about the complete website and also the lack of a moderator . <Monica.Thomas@newham.gov.uk>

Offline burnsy

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »
I dont understand why The Newham Story is plagued with these posts!
I use a number of other forums and none get any 'junk' posts.
I wonder if it's something simple like a setup option that needs ticking?

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2017, 08:14:24 PM »
I also report these posts to the admin but I think Carol is right about it being something of a back burner task for those in control. In relation to Burnsy's question of why the site is plagued with these posts, well in truth, it isn't. All websites that allow input from the public at large get these sorts of posts often in large quantities. I get them on my own website but software detects them as they are posted and places them in a special spam folder awaiting deletion. No one but the site administrator gets to see them.

Whether the particular software that runs this board can cope with such software I do not know as it is now starting to get a bit aged. I seem to recall a much earlier version of this site did have primitive spam protection software but it was so indiscriminate, many genuine posts were getting deleted. Posts that contained words like Essex or Middlesex were automatically deleted as the primitive anti-spam software identified he message as having something to do with sex. In the end people were typing messages with words like E*S*S*E*X* just to get around the problem. Modern anti-spam software is very sophisticated and does not suffer with that type of problem, but it usually also needs modern bulletin board software that allows it to interface with it.