Author Topic: Hallsville Road School 1940. bombing  (Read 7689 times)

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
Re: Hallsville Road School 1940. bombing
« Reply #15 on: 13 February, 2016, 05:45:02 PM »
Michikels, I have sent you a Personal Message on the board

All the best Ed

Offline nollanhej

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 September, 2017, 06:19:48 PM »
It's a small world!  I was in company with a couple both being ex schoolteachers, the wife's father was the Headmaster of Hallsville Road School, the disaster which most people of a certain age are aware of. It appears that he was in the school the day before, but left in the evening prior to the terrible incident! As I say, it's a small world!
« Last Edit: 16 September, 2017, 06:22:37 PM by nollanhej »

Offline Nels

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 November, 2017, 09:56:28 PM »
There is a programme on BBC2 at the moment about the Blitz and in particular in Canning Town
and a lot of coverage on Hallsville school.
a bit late now but hopefully you can get it on catch up

Offline ed styles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 November, 2017, 11:55:30 PM »
Watched the programme about the School bombing and the lead up to it in centering around Martindale rd . Although well presented there seemed to be no new views or evidence on how it happened and the powers that be are sticking to the ( official deaths of 78 )  inspite various authors and us Family members who dispute this .
The films and photos seen are very wellknown and was hoping that with modern technology would unearth some unseen ones , still well done BBC 2 for keeping the memory alive ,not sure me Mum could have coped with the programme had she been alive ,as she bottled it up for years loosing her Mum Dad and younger Sister .

Ed

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #19 on: 25 November, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »
I watched this programme on the BBC Iplayer and thought the coverage was good and very extensive. It gave details not only of the Hallsville School disaster but the complete background of how everything worked, or was supposed to have worked. The story of the coaches than never arrived and went to Camden Town rather than Canning Town by mistake I have heard before. Whether those coaches ever existed and whether the story is just rumour I doubt will ever be known after all these years.

I can well understand the confusion over the numbers of people that died at Hallsville School. Being a war-time Rest Centre, I don't know if people had to register when they entered the premises or not. However with so many people suddenly arriving and others leaving of their own accord, I doubt if anyone knew the real numbers or everyone that was in the building at the time of the bombing. However, given the realistic estimates of 600 plus people, it is clear either not all the bodies were recovered or if they were, the real numbers of those killed were hushed up for fear of creating a war time panic.

What I did learn that was new to me was the initial harsh attitude of the authorities to those that had lost their homes and belongings, virtually treating them as beggars. No only was it the authorities attitude but also the way  the homeless has to tramp around to find the different agencies that might help them. All credit must go to the civil servant Henry Willink who brought everything together under one roof and forced a change in attitude in doing so. Henry Willink went on to write the report on establish the National Health Service which was implement after the war.

Offline ron copus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 November, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
I surpose I was pretty fortunate to have been evacuated from St joachims in custom house ..I can remember being washed in the bathroom of my house  & crying my eyes out,, at being told I had to go away..& arriving at the destination with my three other brothers & waiting for someone to choose & care for us ,,  :(
The rest was a nightmare  ..