Author Topic: is it terminal  (Read 166 times)

Offline KenM

• View Profile
is it terminal
« on: 11 June, 2018, 11:05:08 AM »
where have all the posters gone.
not a word for weeks, is this the demise of the newham story.
apologies for no capitals, my keyboard is having tantrums
kenm.

Offline harry

• View Profile
Re: is it terminal
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2018, 02:05:20 PM »
I seem to think the same as you Ken there seems to be the odd pole or whoever posting but all the posters we knew from the past have all but disappeared.
I was thinking of posting my memories of being evacuated but posting asking for details of memories that you put on site disappeared what happened there then ?/
Regards Harry I.(seems like its just you and me the old shipman road stalwarts!!!!)

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »
I have been posting on here quite regularly trying to conjure up some debate. Unfortunately the take up rate is very slow. When one looks at 'Who is online' there are clearly plenty of people reading past contributions but unfortunately none seem to wish to subscribe. That's a pity really as I am certain 'readers' would have a lot of memories to tell.

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »
Hi MickG & Harry, nice to hear from you.
Harry,  I deleted the evacuation post on discovering that it had been done a while ago. Please post your evacuation recollections, I'm sure that you  have an interesting tale to tell.
MickG, keep plugging away, you never know some of the old time regulars may come back.

Keyboard problem. The left shift key not working, as a getaround I am now using the right shift key.
kenm.

Offline alffox

• Taken c1985
    • View Profile
    • The Fox family from Kelfield, Yorkshire and Edmead - Kelly - Brett
« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2018, 03:54:48 PM »
From an old poster who as Mick says - looks in but rarely contributes.  Almost got involved again a while ago when Ken was mentioning Reggie Shaw.  I recently attended a reunion of the St. Andrews Boys Club that operated in Tollgate School  - not many left standing now - turned out just a bout six.  St. Andrews was formed in 1938 and were named Fredericks Road Youth Club run by a lovely man E C Sydney. Syd to us boys.    Reg was a smashing lad and i spent quite a lot of time with him both on holidays and at football and any other sport that we could do.  I have a recollection that when Reg died I wrote an obituary for the St. Andrews Old Boys Club and if my memory serves me right I probably passed it on to the Forum.  I have searched my house high and low for my copy (I keep everything) but at the moment I cannot find it.  I have asked St. Andrews Old Boys president if he has a copy of it as I also wrote obits for Terry Crangle and Ron (Kipper) Kent both St. Andrews members - have a few pictures from the late 1940's and early 1950's plus some holiday one with the lads.   Old St. Andrews members still alive and kicking are John Bavins (in Colwyn Bay), Horry Wright in Colchester and Ken Bartrup in Laindon.  The reunions occur in the Wheatsheaf in Brentwood Road Romford twice yearly but with age creeping up fast I cannot see it continuing much longer.   Perhaps age is why some of the old posters have disappeared - as Mick might remember I am deeply involved in family history and have spent a lot of time searching for the details of a relative who was a Prisoner of War in Germany in WW2.  Been to Chelmsford Essex Regiment Museum - to The Archives at Bancroft and followed up a whole host of avenues so my time get consumed in that way.   Fortunately I am still fairly active (85 soon to be) and will be playing table tennis tonight and a full round of golf tomorrow.   I would be sad to see the Newham Story disappear as I do like to read what others are doing and thinking.       I have another story which I will post on another page shortly concerning Martin Peters and George Brett and his son Terry.
Regards  Alf Fox 

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2018, 10:18:46 PM »
It is sad that it has taken this site so long to get going again but I think we were all disappointed when it was taken down for such a lengthy time without warning. A few of us "emigrated" to Facebook including Linda C, Mark Brennan and even Stan Dyson has been making a lot of posts in recent days. One problem with this site is the inability to add photos easily at the moment and also ensuring that they are the required size. Seeing a photo often stimulates the memory more that a simple text post so let's hope that this situation is resolved so that photos can be posted. Dougt

Offline KenM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2018, 11:47:31 AM »
Hi alffox & DougT, nice to hear from you.
Alf, please post your info on Martin Peters, is it he of West Ham fame?

Doug, I agree, not being able to post a photo is a big downside to our forum, let us hope that admin will correct this blip.
kenm.

Offline linda co

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2018, 03:25:20 PM »
Hi everyone
Firstly thank you to Alffox for your interesting posts. I have as Doug mentioned "emigrated" to Facebook where I have been enjoying the memories of east ham, memories of manor park and east ham and the Newham history sites. They have had some wonderful photos on there and some interesting in discussions.

Like Doug and Ken I do agree the that not being able to post photos on here is probably deterring members from posting. It's such a shame as everyone seems to be drifting away again. I will try and ring the Admin soon and check if the issue of photographs will be sorted out in the near future.
Regards
Linda

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »
As an experiment, I tried to see if it was possible to 'feed' a picture directly from Facebook to this site.

The picture below is one that Davina Dupey found of West Ham Lane in 1902. I can certainly see it but as a member of Facebook, I may well have viewing privileges that non-Facebook members might not have. It would be useful if someone who is not a member of Facebook could comment whether they can see it or not. The group this picture is being fed from is from an open group which means anyone can view contents of the group without being a member but cannot contribute unless they join.

The second picture is my own personal one of my dog at Stonebarrow on the Dorset Coat,  but is comes from a closed Facebook group of which I am a administrator. With this picture it would be useful if both Facebook and non-Facebook members could indicate whether they can see the picture or not.

The reason I ask is that if everyone can see the pictures, it is another avenue for placing picture on this site. The only proviso is the picture has to be on the internet but the process for displaying them is far simpler than the currently redundant system for uploading pictures. The added benefit is there is no size restriction either. If the experiment works, I with give details on the simple process of how to do it.

Even without being a member of Facebook, it is possible to use this method to display any picture one might come across anywhere on the internet.

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2018, 06:32:40 PM »

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 June, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
Mick, It seemed to work on that photo except that I didn't intend to post a photo of The Galleons hotel but two 685 Trolleybuses! Dougt

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2018, 06:36:59 PM »

Offline DougT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2018, 06:37:52 PM »
That was the one I intended to post. Both photos were taken from the Growing up in The East End of London Group which is a "Closed Group"
« Last Edit: 13 June, 2018, 06:54:44 PM by DougT »

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
« Reply #13 on: 13 June, 2018, 08:04:50 PM »
Doug,  Thank you very much for those brilliantly clear pictures. Obviously you know how to 'feed'' pictures from other sites. I will post later a details how to do it for the benefit of others who may not know.

Offline alffox

• Taken c1985
    • View Profile
    • The Fox family from Kelfield, Yorkshire and Edmead - Kelly - Brett
« Reply #14 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:15:48 PM »
Hello Ken, the post concerning Martin Peters can be seen on Sporting Newham - posted yesterday as my second post of the day following my initial one above.
alffox