Author Topic: The Great Fire of London  (Read 123 times)

Offline Bob L

• View Profile
The Great Fire of London
« on: 20 September, 2017, 01:41:13 PM »
Yes I know Newham was not touched by the fire. Newham was not part of London then. But I bet the people stood outside at night and watched the red glow across the sky. Probably some refugees from the fire settled here. I for one had ancestors who were there, in old London, when it started, and I am sure many others here did too.

So it is part of our history, and bearing that in mind I thought that perhaps some members here might enjoy this animation of what that London looked like.  http://www.openculture.com/2013/11/fly-through-17th-century-london.html

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: The Great Fire of London
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2017, 05:24:03 PM »
It does make wonder if the Great Fire of London had not occurred, what present day London would have looked like. Although the new London was mainly built on existing street lines, would  the then St Pauls Cathedral have survived the next 300 years or not or even the Blitz? Certainly that favourite landmark 'The Monument' would not have been built and Monument Underground Station would have a different name.

As you say Bob, Newham was not at that time part of London and was still a mixture of hamlets, farm and marshland. I would have thought that Newham and surrounding areas did benefit indirectly from the Great Fire in that Bubonic Plague, (The Black Death) was in London from 1665-1666 and it would appear the fire helped burn out the rat infested heart of London that help sustain the plague. If the fire had not helped stop the plague in its tracks, it is likely that over time it would have spread to the hamlets of Newham much more than it probably did.

I remember being in the London Fire Brigade in 1966, it was one year after the creation of the enlarged LFB which included the old brigades of East and West Ham. Also being the 300th anniversary of the fire, the London Fire Brigade brought out special pulications and the like.
« Last Edit: 20 September, 2017, 05:25:51 PM by MickG »