Author Topic: Tate & Lyle Manorway Sports Ground.  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Stan Dyson

• View Profile
Tate & Lyle Manorway Sports Ground.
« on: 23 October, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »
Attached below is a very rare photo of Tates cricket team taken in summer 1938 at their Manorway sports ground.  On this occasion they were playing the visiting West Indies cricket team who came over on one of the Sugarline boats.  I was informed that the special occasion was to celebrate the opening of the sports ground.

Silvertown Services Lighterage / Sugar Line were represented by Colonel Fred Sudbury sitting middle front and also the General office Manager Bill Caton, first man standing l/h side back row.  Next to Bill Caton are Messrs. Proctor, Smith, Ward, McKie, Stan Dyson (my dad) and umpire Austin.  Front row, Messers. Thompkins, Tates Director Howlett, Col. Sudbury, unknown & Walker.

I spent many happy childhood days most weekends over Tates Sports ground from the late 1940’s & throughout the 1950’s.  Their annual Sports Day’s were particularly enjoyable with all the usual entertainments, like climbing the greasy pole, walking along the gyrating log, tug-of-war, treasure hunt, baby contest, beauty contest and various sports demonstrations & side-shows.  There was also a miniature model railway that would take you from the Pavillion right down to the kids slide, swings and rifle range.  A really great day out! - Stan

Offline Andrew McAdams

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Re: Tate & Lyle Manorway Sports Ground.
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2017, 11:30:14 AM »
Stan

Bill Caton was my Grandfather, could you post the photo again as i can't view it from this entry
Thanks
Andrew McAdams

Offline MickG

• View Profile
    • Mick's Muses
Re: Tate & Lyle Manorway Sports Ground.
« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2017, 11:15:28 PM »
Hello Andrew, Welcome to the board.

There is a problem with the old photographs at the moment. This board was taken off-line for a few months and when it reappeared, all the photographs that had previously been uploaded did not reappear. It is not possible at the moment to add photographs using the main facility provided on the board. What everyone is hoping is that when that facility is eventually repaired, all photographs will reappear once again.